Under Body Aluminium Tubing

Scotsman01

Reaction score
City, State
Gold Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL Export
Hi
I am an Scottish/Australian living in Queensland.

The Ford explorer is not well known here and as I am trying to renovate my 1997 Explorer, I am finding it difficult to get advice and information.

I do not know all the systems yet, but I have uncovered Two aluminium tubes running under the body and appears to have something to do with the 4x4 system.
The reason I am asking is there appears to be a hole in one of them and before I repair the tube would like some confirmation as to their purpose .
I am really learning as I fix the car and have joined your forum for guidence. Any help would really be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trans cooler lines?

Can you post up a picture? Give us a better idea of what you're looking at.

Aluminum (aluminium in your spelling) are only the transmission cooler lines.

arrows.png

Are you looking at the driveshafts?

Hi from Brisbane.

The only thing I can think of is the transmission cooler lines, nothing to do with the 4x4 system.
Take a picture.

actually the trans lines are steel. i know because the ones on my AWD are very rusty. easiest way to repair is by cutting the tubing at the point of the leak and installing a small piece of trans cooler rubber line with some hose clamps. new lines are available but are expensive (even in the U.S.). i'd guess they'd be astronomically expensive where you live.

Thanks for that, it definitely looks like the transmission fluid lines. I do not know what damage a hole in one of them would cause, can you give me some idea?

Thanks Sonic67 for the photo, its far better than mine. My thanks to you all, any help is gratefully accepted.
I acknowledge that some of my spelling will be different, hope you understand, but Viva La Difference.

A damaged transmission fluid line will spray ATF everywhere when the engine is running. Even if only microscopic pin hole. My steel lines are currently all rubber do to that.

One thing I'd add to koda2000's post: use 2 hose clamps at each end of the join.

There's a bloke at Robina wrecking a '96, I could give you his number if you like.

Thanks for that, it definitely looks like the transmission fluid lines. I do not know what damage a hole in one of them would cause, can you give me some idea?

depending on how big the hole is (and it doesn't take much) you will loose trans fluid to the point the trans will begin to slip and/or stop working. low fluid can also cause the trans to overheat and become damaged. if the leak is bad enough to spray fluid around you can even catch fire. you should address this problem ASAP. and doubling up on the hose clamps couldn't hurt. replacing the lines (assuming you can find some) is a pita.

One thing I'd add to koda2000's post: use 2 hose clamps at each end of the join.

There's a bloke at Robina wrecking a '96, I could give you his number if you like.
Thanks for the offer, Who it is and a Phone number would be great.

depending on how big the hole is (and it doesn't take much) you will loose trans fluid to the point the trans will begin to slip and/or stop working. low fluid can also cause the trans to overheat and become damaged. if the leak is bad enough to spray fluid around you can even catch fire. you should address this problem ASAP. and doubling up on the hose clamps couldn't hurt. replacing the lines (assuming you can find some) is a pita.
Thanks for the advice.
I only drove it for a couple of Kms and did not hear any noises before it went up on stands, But I don't know what the original owners did. Have some photos but as yet have not worked it out how to include them.

Sent you a PM.
Sorry but I am new to this forum stuff.

What is a PM and how do I read/get it.

Thanks for your trouble

Sorry but I am new to this forum stuff.

What is a PM and how do I read/get it.

Thanks for your trouble

PM stands for Private Message. click User CP at the top of the screen and Send Message on the control panel (CP).

unless your an Elite Explorer ($20 a year) the only way you can include a photo is by posting a link to something like Photo Bucket.

Back