Under Dash Relay Clicking - Various Electrical Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Under Dash Relay Clicking - Various Electrical Issues

AC Maybe?

Something I noticed this morning while warming up the truck: a clicking sound like the AC or defrost was on.

When AC runs you can sometimes here it clicking or cycling on and off - this sound comes from the engine compartment, the compressor I beleive.

However, when running heat alone without AC or defrost - that compressor should not be cycling on and off, correct? Could my issue be one with the AC compressor? Stuck on? It would presumably draw a lot of current and perhaps cause other fubar'd issues.

I think I could hear the compressor cycling on and off when the HVAC controls were calling for "heat only".

Thanks

I believe that the AC compressor runs in all settings except Vent and Floor. However, I doubt an AC Compressor issue would cause the other problems you have described.

Corroded Ground

Hello-

Corroded ground is the winner! The person I talked to on the phone from the dealership couldn't say which or where but mechanic cleaned up a corroded ground and reportedly that fixed the various electrical issues.

Thanks for everyone's input! Serious Explorations is a great site. At least I learned where all of my relays are - about five different places! ...and I had fun taking stuff apart.

:chug:

Matt Hartman
Iowa City
98 EB Explorer

hmm, yeah, i've seen bad grounds cause the weirdest problems. add another one to the list.

Back