• Register Today It's free!

Under Steer? & Problems!

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Hey gang, it's been a while since my last post. My PC at home is still down and I will only have access to this at working hours.

I'm noticing some under steer in my truck, and just recently if I turn in a parking lot or in or out of a sharp turn I, a) almost don't make the turn completely, or b) feel binding from the front end. Almost as if the front tires were rubbing against the pavement.

When this happened (binding) I jump out to look at the tires. they both appear to be pointed in the same direction? I had a recent allignment done.

I also had a front end clunk that I had reported some time ago here, but never did find the remedy for it, and ignored it. With the front tires in the air, all seems tight, but I have a feeling the auto hubs are in relation to this all.

Also, my power steering fluid smells burnt. Same level in the reservoir, but burnt.

Any ideas? I'm feeling unsafe to drive at this point.

Thnx in advance!

J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jsun said:
Any ideas? I'm feeling unsafe to drive at this point.

Thnx in advance!

J

I also think it may be related to my R&P...is this possible? What checks can I do?

Thnx!

J

So anywho...

I removed the front driveshaft last night and my steering/binding problem disappeared. So, at this point I'm thinking my transfercase and hubs are faulty. I'm a little slugish for performance, and feel like something is causing friction in the driveline, but I have no problems turning sharp at this point.

I also felt no friction in the front wheels when turning them by hand with the front driveshaft removed.

Any ideas? Please...

J

Dude, chances are all that was happening was the auto 4x4 kicking in. How old are your tires? Have you checked the tire pressure? Are any tires more worn than others? Mismatched tires and size differences caused by wear/pressure issues are the simple causes for auto kicking in. Other causes are dirty/faulty speed sensors on the transfer case, or a faulty GEM.

The reason your truck feels sluggish is that on startup, the t/f case is still sending 35% of your power to the front end, which you have disconnected. So, starting from 0mph, you are losing 35% of your power. For every 5mph increase in speed, you will gain 5% power back to the rear until you hit 35mph when all power is directed to the rear wheels.

Hook you driveshaft back up and remedy your situation by checking the items I listed above.

jsun said:
I also think it may be related to my R&P...is this possible? What checks can I do?

Thnx!

J

What is "R&P"?

Thanks for the reply!

R&P = Rack & Pinion

Yeah these tires were new about 5 months ago. I bought the yokahama geo's and they wore out to fast for my liking. So the tires are uneven with wear due to poor alligment when I busted a tierod. I'm at fault for that.

I'll check into the tire wear and inflation issue, but I feel there's more to it then this???

Thnx!

J

i had that problem in my 98. it jus wouldn't quit doing it. i did the 2wd mod and put the switch in and it went away except ofcourse if i used my 4wd i jus put up with it till my transfer case finally got soo bad it was useless it wouldn't engage when i needed it and when it finaly did it wouldn't disengage when i tried to disengage it. fixed it by putting in a manual transfer case. that auto transfer case crap i had was jus that..... crap :thumbdwn:

hiridin said:
i had that problem in my 98.
fixed it by putting in a manual transfer case. that auto transfer case crap i had was jus that..... crap :thumbdwn:

Thnx for the input!

If I had it my way, and I just might...it's going to look like a V8, manual 5spd, 2 wheel drive s/c'd ex sport. Thinking of parking some time soon to do this. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

J

Back