Underdrive Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC Motor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Underdrive Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC Motor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When and if, with a capital I, one is available for my motor, I will have it in a heartbeat.

Up to 20 HP Al
You gotta do thishttp://www.spatechnique.com/electric/waterpumps.htm

hmm and how much does that cost

lol....I honestly dont know anything about how much power a water pump would rob from my engine....but would it honestly be worth it? I have an electric fan...why not free up something else

A drop in the bucket for a man of your means and drive. :>)

EBP9001 Electric Booster Pump $206.70
EWP8005 EWP Pump 12v 90 Watt $262.88
EWP8010 EWP Pump Controller $159.00

thats way too much money for me for 20 hp

Afboy143 said:
lol....I honestly dont know anything about how much power a water pump would rob from my engine....but would it honestly be worth it? I have an electric fan...why not free up something else
ZIP, nothing, NADA, thats what a water pump pully will get you, but others will see improvements

Afboy143 said:

Actually that is a bargin if indeed it is 20 HP; they state up to 20 HP.

My interest is in gas mileage.

Afboy143 said:
If I could get 20 HP, real HP for 200 bucks, I would jump on it.
some on this site will spend 200 bux, on useless mods that equate into watching two chickins *****

Buzzsaw said:
A drop in the bucket for a man of your means and drive. :>)

EBP9001 Electric Booster Pump $206.70
EWP8005 EWP Pump 12v 90 Watt $262.88
EWP8010 EWP Pump Controller $159.00

OH well 200$ for 20 hp is good, that I would go for. I was saying I wouldnt pay the above prices for 20 hp :p

And I thought this wasnt a pully but an actual electric water pump which takes all the strain off the engine from the water pump

That is for electric water pump, controller, and booster pump, not pulleys so it would take all of that load away. Some of them have free spinning pulleys on them so you don't have to get a new belt. It would almost have to increase hp and mileage if that load is removed.

spindlecone said:
some on this site will spend 200 bux, on useless mods that equate into watching two chickins *****
Count me in!

I'm not so concerned about gaining a couple of HP but I'm thinking the E-pump w/controller and the E-fan might really help while crawling through the desert in the summer. I'd appreciate hearing anyone's experienced opinion ... I've only done the basic mods so far and want to start preparing for a lot of summer wheelin. Thanks

Attachments

• old and new.jpg
    old and new.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,855
  • new installed.jpg
    new installed.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,868

Some observations on the use of the underdrive pulleys after long road trip …

(1) The mileage gains netted by using theses pulleys were better than expected.

(2) During the traffic jam, doing only stop and go, 1 MPH speed, the alternator was putting out only 11.2 volts/ This low voltage caused the AC blower to provide diminished air flow ( the temperature was fine. ). Hopefully, my new overdrive alternator pulley will solve this issue.

(3) The coolant temperature elevated to 216 F, but could be reduced rapidly by revving the motor in neutral. This was monitored via my OBD II scanner. This elevated temperature caused no problems and was reduced to 192 F almost immediately upon the return to normal highway speed.

(4) The ATF temperature went to 180 F during the standstill. This also returned to normal ( 130 F ) after returning to highway speed.

I want to retest with the stock water pump pulley and see what happens with both the temperature as well as gas mileage.

I was just wondering what it cost for the bamachip upgrade, ive tried contacting them on getting more power out of my 2002 sport trac but have gotten no responses, i would like to find a performance chip for my 4.0 sohc ST.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back