Uneven front Brake wear

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
I pulled the wheels off to check the front brake pads, and it seems like the pads are not wearing evenly.

On both the passenger and driver's sides, the upper wear indicator has a little life left, while the lower indicator is almost gone. I noticed that the slide boots were torn. :eek:

Is this normal for the dual piston calipers? Cause for concern? If you've done brakes on a 95+ with dual piston calipers, please let me know what you've found.

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the slide boots are torn the slide pins are probably hanging up because the grease is getting out and dirt is getting in, causing uneven pad wear. Just get some new caliper slide pins and dust boots, and lube with a good brake grease (I use SilGlyde). Then all should be well in Explorer land. :)

Could have a stuck piston in the caliper also, but I'd start with new pins, much cheaper that way.

if the boot has so much as a pin hole in it, its proly sticky slide pins. new pins/boots are real cheap, and lube the hell out of 'em with caliper lube. this is a common problem on higher milage trucks, as there seems to be alot of brake shops out there doing "pad slaps" on vehicles without lubing the pins. if they ever get dry, the caliper can start to stick.

Last time I replaced my pads, one side was way more worn than the other, and that side was missing the anti-rattle clip. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but it was the only difference I could see.

may be a stuck piston.
Rebuild the calipers.
I rebuilt dual piston calipers on my GF 95 ranger and have had no probs.

Or they may just need to be bled, air may be trapped behind one piston.

Back