Uneven tire wear

c2harvey

Reaction score
City, State
Picture Rocks, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
Hello,
I have a 2002 Explorer 4x4 that had new Firestone Destination A/T's put on it about 20k miles ago. I rotated them at about 10-11k miles and noticed that the ones that were on the rear had excessive wear on the outsides. Since its snow season now, I rotated them to the back again about 1000 miles ago. I noticed now that each one has a spot about 1/2 the width of the tire and about 5-6 inches long that is extremely worn, ie almost nothing resembling tread on it. However, the inside of the tire still has probably an eighth inch of tread left on it. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks

camber? When you usually get an alignment they will only set the toe-in and the specs are pretty big 0-6degree for camber, I believe? They do sell camber kits from ford for like $10, just big washers to allow them to adjust camber/caster, it might help to have something ready otherwise they may skip it. Rear's only have 1 washer per side the fronts have 2. Camber will allow the outside/inside to wear quicker.

Back