• Register Today It's free!

Unexplained beep

dick8299

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer
I have a 2003 Mountaineer V6 with about 60,000 miles on it. Just recently it has started emitting a single loud beep shortly after starting and within 1/2 to 1 mile of starting out. There are not associated messages or warning lights and it only beeps once at the start of a trip and not again. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Some things are designed to beep, such as the SRS module with a fault code, the door chime jingles with the door ajar, and the message center (if equipped) beeps when you push a button to see your MPG, fuel economy, etc.

I get the same beep on my '03 AWD V8. It's usually under hard acceleration from a stop. But like you say, it happens once per trip. Same sound as the low fuel indicator but happens even when tank is full. Only started recently and I've had the vehicle for almost three years. I've also noticed very minute drivetrain shudder at low speeds in the same time frame.

I get the same beep on my '03 AWD V8. It's usually under hard acceleration from a stop. But like you say, it happens once per trip. Same sound as the low fuel indicator but happens even when tank is full. Only started recently and I've had the vehicle for almost three years. I've also noticed very minute drivetrain shudder at low speeds in the same time frame.

I am having the exact same issue...been going on for about a week. I have noticed that the parking brake light flashes quickly. Almost undetectable by the human eye. :eek: And yes the parking brake is off. ;)

Just a thought... I'm not a mech. Might be something like sticky ebrake and something to do with abs sensor for rear tire. Do you use the e brake every time you park?

It's a fault within the instrument cluster. Ford issued a TSB about this, and although I can't remember the exact TSB number, it basically said that the fix was to replace the instrument cluster with a new one.

Mine on occaision will emit a single beep when shutting the engine off, paired with a faintly displayed "AdvTrac Off" warning on the message center. It doesn't really bother me as this is the only time it does it, but it does fall into that TSB related to the problem with the cluster. If/when it gets worse, I'll fix it, but until then, I'll just let it beep.

A follow up from my earlier post. I've since had the clutch pack replaced in the rear differential (extended warranty is almost paid for) and the drivetrain binding and the mysterious beep have gone away. If they did something else to do away with the beep, they did not inform me of it. You may want to park on a steep incline and move up it slowly to see if you can detect any shudder from the rear differential. As I said, the two symptoms onset simultaneously in my case and the conditions are exactly as you describe.

Back