Unexplained Rattle 2014 Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Unexplained Rattle 2014 Limited

jons901

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Exp Ltd 4x4 3.5L TiVCT
Just an update...
I still have the same issue, brought it in to the dealer as I have extended warranty and found the issue is with the AC Compressor, it locked up and they found metal debris inside, they flashed the A/C system twice and still found metal debris. So they replaced the A/C compressor, condenser and expansion valves. I picked it up and tried it out and it the problem seems to go away, then I tried on the next day and on idle I still heard the rattle/clunking sound, so I brought it back to the dealer. It seems to be happening consistently when the car is start remotely. In the linked video, you can hear it at starting at 0.18 seconds.

Rattle/Clunking video
Wow that is strange. It almost sounds flimsy in its presence. When you are looking at the AC compressor I hear it mostly in my right speaker and when you are closer to the oil filter I hear it in my left speaker. Not sure if that is significant.

It happens when started remotely, but does it go away after you are in the car and press the start button to switch to normal mode? In mine when I start remotely it fires up all the AC or heat depending on the outside temp and then when I press start on the dash it goes back to my normal settings. Is there something running in the remote start condition that is off when in normal drive mode that may be causing it?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

daverns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Wow that is strange. It almost sounds flimsy in its presence. When you are looking at the AC compressor I hear it mostly in my right speaker and when you are closer to the oil filter I hear it in my left speaker. Not sure if that is significant.

It happens when started remotely, but does it go away after you are in the car and press the start button to switch to normal mode? In mine when I start remotely it fires up all the AC or heat depending on the outside temp and then when I press start on the dash it goes back to my normal settings. Is there something running in the remote start condition that is off when in normal drive mode that may be causing it?
Thanks jons901 for analyzing the issue. After 3 days it's finally fixed, the issue is with the catalytic converter, they replaced it under warranty. It's still quite after 2 days, hopefully it stays this way 😀...good thing is now I have a brand new AC compressor...

<

dkh001

Reaction score
City, State
Kingwood Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited
So is this a catalytic converter problem or an ac compressor problem? Can anyone confirm? I’ve tried both the heavy duty belt and regular drive belt and new belt tensioner and it’s still rattling like crazy. It does seem to be more noticeable with the AC on. Please help!

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

<

daverns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
So is this a catalytic converter problem or an ac compressor problem? Can anyone confirm? I’ve tried both the heavy duty belt and regular drive belt and new belt tensioner and it’s still rattling like crazy. It does seem to be more noticeable with the AC on. Please help!
They replaced my ac compressor as it was only noticeable or reproduceable when the AC is on, but it was still happening and so they checked again and it was ruled out to be the Catalytic converter.

<

dkh001

Reaction score
City, State
Kingwood Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited
They replaced my ac compressor as it was only noticeable or reproduceable when the AC is on, but it was still happening and so they checked again and it was ruled out to be the Catalytic converter.
So what did they do specifically to the catalytic converter to fix the problem?

<

daverns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
So what did they do specifically to the catalytic converter to fix the problem?
They replaced the catalytic converter with the new one. The inside of it was rattling when starts to warm up, my rattle is more during idling for several minutes. The catalytic converter is actually still on warranty, I cannot remember if he said it was for 8 or 10 years, regardless I also have extended warranty that can cover it as well.

<