Unexplained Rattle 2014 Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unexplained Rattle 2014 Limited

Just an update...
I still have the same issue, brought it in to the dealer as I have extended warranty and found the issue is with the AC Compressor, it locked up and they found metal debris inside, they flashed the A/C system twice and still found metal debris. So they replaced the A/C compressor, condenser and expansion valves. I picked it up and tried it out and it the problem seems to go away, then I tried on the next day and on idle I still heard the rattle/clunking sound, so I brought it back to the dealer. It seems to be happening consistently when the car is start remotely. In the linked video, you can hear it at starting at 0.18 seconds.

Rattle/Clunking video
Wow that is strange. It almost sounds flimsy in its presence. When you are looking at the AC compressor I hear it mostly in my right speaker and when you are closer to the oil filter I hear it in my left speaker. Not sure if that is significant.

It happens when started remotely, but does it go away after you are in the car and press the start button to switch to normal mode? In mine when I start remotely it fires up all the AC or heat depending on the outside temp and then when I press start on the dash it goes back to my normal settings. Is there something running in the remote start condition that is off when in normal drive mode that may be causing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow that is strange. It almost sounds flimsy in its presence. When you are looking at the AC compressor I hear it mostly in my right speaker and when you are closer to the oil filter I hear it in my left speaker. Not sure if that is significant.

It happens when started remotely, but does it go away after you are in the car and press the start button to switch to normal mode? In mine when I start remotely it fires up all the AC or heat depending on the outside temp and then when I press start on the dash it goes back to my normal settings. Is there something running in the remote start condition that is off when in normal drive mode that may be causing it?
Thanks jons901 for analyzing the issue. After 3 days it's finally fixed, the issue is with the catalytic converter, they replaced it under warranty. It's still quite after 2 days, hopefully it stays this way 😀...good thing is now I have a brand new AC compressor...

So is this a catalytic converter problem or an ac compressor problem? Can anyone confirm? I’ve tried both the heavy duty belt and regular drive belt and new belt tensioner and it’s still rattling like crazy. It does seem to be more noticeable with the AC on. Please help!

Just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

So is this a catalytic converter problem or an ac compressor problem? Can anyone confirm? I’ve tried both the heavy duty belt and regular drive belt and new belt tensioner and it’s still rattling like crazy. It does seem to be more noticeable with the AC on. Please help!
They replaced my ac compressor as it was only noticeable or reproduceable when the AC is on, but it was still happening and so they checked again and it was ruled out to be the Catalytic converter.

They replaced my ac compressor as it was only noticeable or reproduceable when the AC is on, but it was still happening and so they checked again and it was ruled out to be the Catalytic converter.
So what did they do specifically to the catalytic converter to fix the problem?

So what did they do specifically to the catalytic converter to fix the problem?
They replaced the catalytic converter with the new one. The inside of it was rattling when starts to warm up, my rattle is more during idling for several minutes. The catalytic converter is actually still on warranty, I cannot remember if he said it was for 8 or 10 years, regardless I also have extended warranty that can cover it as well.

The belt I needed for the Limited is JK6455D (correct), but I accidentally put on the one for the heavy duty alternator, JK6457A (incorrect).

In my limited I have the 3.5L TIVCT engine.
I've got a 2014 Limited. It looks to be a 200 A unit, but I put the Dayco 5060450 belt on it. It has almost the same specs as the recommended Gates belt for the 200 A alternator.

Screenshot from 2022-07-07 10-47-41.png

Dayco 5060450:
Effective Length45.08 in.
Effective Length1145.04 mm

Gates K060450:
Effective Length (in)45.12
Effective Length (mm)1146

Sure is confusing trying to figure all this out. I've not had any problems so far with the Dayco. Has anyone else? I'm 99% confident that a 1 mm difference in the effective length is negligible.

I attached an image of the sticker on my alternator below:

alternator.jpg

Sorry to dig up an old post but, I need help! I have a 2017 with the 3.5L V6. The noise is clearly coming from the tensioner. I have replaced it with a new OEM part and a new belt. The rattle is still there when I go into reverse or I'm stopped a stop light in drive and have the AC on. I put it in neutral and the sound goes away or I turn off the AC. I'm kind of at a loss given I've replaced the belt and the tensioner. Any thoughts on what else it could be? I'd really like to avoid replacing the AC compressor or catalytic converter (still don't know how that could be causing the noise) since my warranty expired in March.

Back