• Register Today It's free!

Unexplained vibration

steph8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4dr 4wd
A couple of weeks ago I was driving on the highway and I notice a humming sound (very low vibration sound) at 65-70mph. My first thought was that I had an unbalance tire. Then the vibration started to get more intense (the dash and my seat are vibrating) and started to appear at lower speeds (40mph). The indication that makes me believe it is not my tires is that when I am in the vibration zone if I let go the throttle the vibrations stops.

I am starting to be worry about my transmission. Could it be something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You wight want to have your drive shaft checked for bad u-joints

You might want to have your drive shaft checked for bad u-joints

Also rock the transfer case outputs up and down checking for play in the bearings. ;)

That sounds more like the hubs than a driveline or transmission problem. If it were transmission it wouldn't go away by taking your foot off the gas. I had my trans rebuilt a few years ago but it never made a hum or vibration of any kind, it would slam into gears pretty hard tho.

I've replaced the hubs on the front at least 3 times in the 180k I've got on the Sploder now. All 3 times it sounded exactly like what you've described here. Once, the problem was compounded by a blown belt in one of the tires but after the tires were all changed (bought a whole set at the same time including spare) it sounded for months like I was running on knobby tires. Turned out to be the hubs. That time I had them replaced at the stealership which ran $1200 for both sides.

The last time I had the hubs replaced I had a shadetree mechanic do them for me the parts were around $160 ea side (with ABS) and I paid $150 labor. Total cost with a few side jobs thrown in didn't cost $500 total. Much better than the dealership.

I'm sure someone on here can tell you more about how to go about checking, testing etc., the front hubs, I can only tell you what it sounds/feels like when they go bad. I experienced the same hum (deafening at some speeds) and vibration (constant like a massage chair) as they went bad. Luckilly I never blew them out completely and did more damage.

Just had a problem with an 87 Mazda 626 where the rear bearing completely dissintegrated and left the bearing race welded onto the spindle. Now instead of $25 bux in bearings, seals and grease, I need a new spindle $120 and brake drum $60 and just a little more labor (my own) to finish it up. Catching bearings early is DEFINITELY worth the savings later.

Do a search or solicit some replies on what and how to check the front hubs more definitively (I'm not a mechanic) before running to the parts store on my word.

However, I hope it helps a little.

Matt

Hi from Germany!!

Maybe i can help.

Ive got the same problem 3 month ago, i change the Hub and all Bearings on the front Axle, but the vibration was the same!!!
And then i find my problem!!
I cant believe it but the problem on my Car was the Joint Assembly on the left side! You take a look of it???
I change it and the vibration was go!

http://hometown.aol.de/MagicJoe04/FEF/IMG_0017.JPG

http://hometown.aol.de/MagicJoe04/FEF/IMG_0015.JPG
I hope i could help you!!

Sorry for my bad English!!

Greets Joe!

Back