Unhappy Ford customer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unhappy Ford customer.

vrliles

Reaction score
I thought I had found the car of my dreams when I purchased my Ford Explorer Limited Edition. This soon turned out to be a nightmare. My vehicle has been in the shop for numerous problems. I have had pieces to fall off, the sync resets without any reason, the cowl on the windshield had to be replaced due to roaring ( This took 3 trips to the dealers to be resolved). THe My Ford Touch/Sync is a joke. It still does not work properly and the update is awful. Who wants to buy a $45,000 vehicle to have the screen to look like something in a $5000.00 vehicle. My ipad looks better. I have had problems with the heating and cooling( one side would be putting out hot air while the other side would be putting out cold air) this is with the temperature being set at the same degrees (70). The navigation, radio, would not shut off even tho the engine had been shut down. Now it is overheating!!!!!!!! My dealer has no answers. I am extrememly unhappy with the service department at my local dealership. It seems as if every time I take it in for one problem two more take its place. My family and I have been loyal Ford owners for several years. We always buy new vehicles and this is the first one that we have had this many problems with in a short period of time. As soon as I can find another vehicle..( and not another Ford) I will be getting rid of this piece of junk!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look in the actual explorer forum but a couple of the things you mention are known issues

1) different temps coming out vents - tsb on the actuator flap that gets stuck for hot/cold air.

2) overheating - tsb on having your cooling fans replaced.

3) MFT - you may need your APIM replaced (computer that controls MFT). Known issue that there are some bad batches out there.

The first two are quick fixes and that only leaves you with the MFT issue which can get resolved.. get a different dealer if they can't get a handle on it.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2011-2013 section. Send a PM or email to one of the Ford customer representatives on this site. I'm sure that they might be able to help you. You will have to submit your VIN, mileage, year, and dealership which you've been having difficulty with.

It seems as if every time I take it in for one problem two more take its place.

You must be going to the same dealership that mine was at! Although mine have been caused by the dealership.

I thought I had found the car of my dreams when I purchased my Ford Explorer Limited Edition. This soon turned out to be a nightmare. My vehicle has been in the shop for numerous problems. I have had pieces to fall off, the sync resets without any reason, the cowl on the windshield had to be replaced due to roaring ( This took 3 trips to the dealers to be resolved). THe My Ford Touch/Sync is a joke. It still does not work properly and the update is awful. Who wants to buy a $45,000 vehicle to have the screen to look like something in a $5000.00 vehicle. My ipad looks better. I have had problems with the heating and cooling( one side would be putting out hot air while the other side would be putting out cold air) this is with the temperature being set at the same degrees (70). The navigation, radio, would not shut off even tho the engine had been shut down. Now it is overheating!!!!!!!! My dealer has no answers. I am extrememly unhappy with the service department at my local dealership. It seems as if every time I take it in for one problem two more take its place. My family and I have been loyal Ford owners for several years. We always buy new vehicles and this is the first one that we have had this many problems with in a short period of time. As soon as I can find another vehicle..( and not another Ford) I will be getting rid of this piece of junk!

As the others have stated, these are all known problems with fixes. If your dealer is too lazy to look up the TSBs that address these problems then you need to find another dealer.

Welcome to the Forum vrliles.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. As has been mentioned, some of your issues can be addressed through existing TSB's. It sounds like your dealer isn't up to date with the Explorer issues.
As for the radio staying on, a few others have reported that as well. One member suggested checking the door pin although I have no idea where that is. I don't think there is one. When that happens, do the interior lights come when the door opens? If not, then it would appear that the vehicle isn't sensing the fact that the door is open. Just a thought.

Peter

Not that I have transmission issues with my 20, I'd rather deal with getting that fixed then all the crashes from Tesla's autopilot not working or their cars just catching fire.

Like this new Plaid + driving down the street.

Tesla good, Ford bad.

2a69c7abefaca0e18dbcbdbd6a263f8d.jpeg

2da7726d5d543298bb5145ab9a9c4721.jpeg

I suggest you find another dealership to work on the car. I know from first hand experience that there are good dealerships and bad ones. Find a good one and your problems will get fixed properly. Variation in dealership quality is a same for any car brand, or any business for that matter. My wife has a 2015 Ford Edge. It is basically a smaller Ford Explorer. It has had issues. The first dealer we used for warranty work was terrible. We went to a second dealer and they have been fantastic and have fixed any issues completely. The best advice I can give you is to switch dealers and look for one in your area that has good reviews for their service department.

I suggest you find another dealership to work on the car. I know from first hand experience that there are good dealerships and bad ones. Find a good one and your problems will get fixed properly. Variation in dealership quality is a same for any car brand, or any business for that matter. My wife has a 2015 Ford Edge. It is basically a smaller Ford Explorer. It has had issues. The first dealer we used for warranty work was terrible. We went to a second dealer and they have been fantastic and have fixed any issues completely. The best advice I can give you is to switch dealers and look for one in your area that has good reviews for their service department.
FYI, the member you replied to was last seen here on April 29, 2012. I fully agree with your post though. There is a dealership 2 miles away from me but I chose to use the one 15 miles away because of their reputation.

Peter

FYI, the member you replied to was last seen here on April 29, 2012. I fully agree with your post though. There is a dealership 2 miles away from me but I chose to use the one 15 miles away because of their reputation.

Peter
Dang! Sunday morning and I guess I wasn't fully coherent when I opened this thread. Not that I am ever fully coherent. At least I didn't dredge it up from the depths. I just played along. 😀

The dealer we use is further away too. The bad dealer had one of our vehicles for what I figured was a vacuum leak issue. It was under warranty so I thought they should find the problem. They gave it back and said they couldn't find anything wrong! The problem was still there so I figured I would look into it. I lifted the hood to start looking for anything obvious like a disconnected hose. No Joke, within 30 seconds I found a disconnected hose located on top the valve cover in plain sight. I chalked it up to a bad technician and called the dealer to complain and make them aware of his shoddy work. Turns out he wasn't an outlier and the entire service department had customer service issues. We switched when the transmission in our Edge was having shifting issues and they just kept pecking around trying to find the problem. Took it to another Ford dealer and they diagnosed it on the first trip and replaced the electronic control module in it under warranty. The transmission has been working flawlessly for the last 25k miles.

Not that I have transmission issues with my 20, I'd rather deal with getting that fixed then all the crashes from Tesla's autopilot not working or their cars just catching fire.

Like this new Plaid + driving down the street.

Tesla good, Ford bad.

View attachment 340798

View attachment 340799

50025_04x_a2553f652521935982de118ea1851b4a614d73bf.jpg

Better idea.... Aluminum F150s...

e_picture_a8782f90ad7c377c8d24340847c772b77c5db9c4.jpg

When your vehicle melts to nothing it really doesn't matter if it was powered by gasoline, or electricity ;)

When your vehicle melts to nothing it really doesn't matter if it was powered by gasoline, or electricity ;)
IMO, the problem with the lithium batteries in electric cars is that they are typically sitting under, or very near, the passengers and when they ignite burn very fast, are very hot and put out some deadly fumes. Lithium batteries burning reminds me of thermite burning. They are also very hard to extinguish. I think I read where during one fire the passenger door wouldn't open due to an electrical issue resulting from the fire. If I have to be in a vehicle that catches fire I would rather it not be electric. Also, gas tanks are located in areas that are structurally protected. Batteries seem to be located in more vulnerable areas. All this said, batteries burning wouldn't keep me from buying an electric car if it was something I wanted. For now they are off the list because waiting 30-60 minutes to recharge along with the limits of finding charging stations everywhere make them a non starter for me. Not worrying about fluid maintenance with an electric car would be wonderful.

Back