• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Uniden BC92XLT Scanner

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Yeah, it's not a HAM or CB. But -- does anyone have any experience with this? It's between this and a BC246T. I can get the 92XLT for free, but if the 246 is (that much) better, I'd go for it instead. I do know that the 92XLT is not trunking-capable.

Thanks folks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I'd take anything for free. ;) Depends on what you want to do with it, and what features you want, really. But without trunking you might be limited today, but it all depends on what you are trying to pick up. You really need to check out the are you live in (or where you want to receive) to see if you need trunking to receive them.

That said, the features of the 246 are much better. That looks like a nice little receiver (not having had one since my old Radio Shack crystal unit died). I'd take the free one, sell it, and buy the other one. :) I don't know how the prices compare though.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Reviving this --

Are there any other manufacturers with quality scanner products in the $100-$225 range? I tried my brother's 246, but I want to be sure that I am making the right decision.

By the way -- thanks for the reply above, Joe. I forgot to reply when I read it.

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I'm no expert, but one thing I've learned is that it's worth spending as little as possible to get as much as possible. I think Bearcat scanners have always been fine. I like to make a list of "must have" features, and a list of anything else I'd like, or don't need. Then compare prices and decide if I REALLY need the features if the cost is a lot higher. I've purchased MANY things over the years which were the best, and I didn't use half of what it could do.

That said, I'd probably just go with a Bearcat or maybe even a Radio Shack. $100 scanner, from what I can see, seems pretty nice. I've got a pile of stuff on my list of "wants", a scanner being one of them, so I've been looking into it a bit, and either of these seem reasonably priced, and I'm sure will server the purpose for years. Hope that helps a little. Right now I just program scanner frequencies into my HT, but you can only monitor so many channels on a dual band HT.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Joe,

What's an HT?

Thanks for the insight. To be honest, I am leaning more and more towards the 92XLT. I will not be using the trunking feature, but figured I'd get it "just in case." In reality, I would never use it...

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
Hey, i have a BC92XLT not bad for a handheld, ya they tun around 100 bucks, i think i paid 90 for it at walmart. only thing is that it EATS batteries, one channel isnt bad but when i scan, batteries dont last long, it has exceptional range considering its handheld, its as good if not better as my scanner in my truck now. i brought this BC92xlt inside and have it plugged in, i have a radio shack scanner and antenna in my truck now, again, it was 99.99 without the 35 dollar antenna.
as for trunking, couldnt tell ya, i dont even know exactly what that is lol, i just use mine for local police and fire

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Joe,

What's an HT?

Thanks for the insight. To be honest, I am leaning more and more towards the 92XLT. I will not be using the trunking feature, but figured I'd get it "just in case." In reality, I would never use it...

HT = Handheld Transceiver, i.e. Ham radio, 2 meter/440 cm. With extended receive capability I can pick up the scanner and weather frequencies.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Ranger,

How far is exceptional range? I'm definitely leaning towards the 92 now. I have a charger and a bunch of Maha 2700 mAh rechargeables that would be ready for it... :D

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
Ranger,

How far is exceptional range? I'm definitely leaning towards the 92 now. I have a charger and a bunch of Maha 2700 mAh rechargeables that would be ready for it... :D

well i was picking up my local cops about 25 miles out of town, little static but could make out every word, i had 2500 and 2200 mAh batteries, i charge up 2 and put in it, then carried 4 charged ones in the glove box, as soon as one pair went dead swap then out and charge the dead ones at night and put them back in the truck next day, i dont remmeber how long they lasted, if u scan prepare to chagre them like every other night probably, its a great scanner, mine is the NASCAR edition one from walmart, excellent radio tho, o i use the Energizer batteries with the one hour quick charger, worked fine untill the batteries crapped out, they only last like 1000 charges lol good luck with it!

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Sweet. Thanks for the information. 25 miles is more than enough.

You fellas rock. :thumbsup:

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Doesn't say, but if you can charge the batteries in the radio, then can't you run it off the charger? Or is it only an AC charger? I'd like one too, but probably will get a small base unit instead of a handheld.

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
ya there is s switch in the battery compartment that u flip from REG to NiMH, and use the radio to chage that batteris, but its a AC charger, didnt come with car one

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Hmm, OK. What's the DC output from the AC charger?

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
So, I was browsing craigslist today, and saw a posting for a BC-246T for $135. That's a GREAT deal on this scanner, so I jumped on it. The guy was considering not selling it now, 'cause he had a bunch of no shows. Fortunately I did some more checking before getting it. Apparently a non-digital scanner is somewhat useless in my county now. I was surprised. I figured that a trunking scanner would be more than enough, and the 246T is great! But $135 is a lot if all I can pick up is weather, and a few other things. I guess that's why this guy said he ended up getting a weather radio. Well, that stinks, but just shows that you need to really look to see what your area requires. And with the cost of digital scanner, I won't be getting one anytime soon!

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
so did u get one? not getting one at all?

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Nah. My ham radio can pick up weather and other local frequencies, and a basic trunking scanner doesn't look like it'll do me any good in this area. I ain't spending $500 on a digital scanner, that's for sure!

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
whats a digital scanner.... y do u want one of those and not the bct92?

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Here is a site I found of local frequencies.
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR
After searching through there, it seems that other than the weather, I could pretty much just pick up maybe the park and rec frequency, and the maintenance department. Most of the state, county, and local governments appear to have moved everything to digital, which is why I decided not to waste the money on the scanner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
u can find alot of frequencies on the internet just go to google and type Police Frequensies, i know the FCC website has everyone listed by county. a friend of mine is vol. fire. so he gave me all the local fire and police codes. whast the difference between normal and digital frequencies? im sure u will like the 92xlt. only thing i didnt like was batteries, its a great scanner tho