• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Uniden BC92XLT Scanner

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
Well, in simple terms digital is encoded, so you can't just pick it up without the correct decoder. Apparently this APCO25 system is the latest and greatest, and since a lot of agencies use the counties services, and the county switched to that system, it requires the digital radio for almost everything. Probably the reason why the guy was selling a $300 radio (Or $230 on Amazon) for $135. Actually, I know a guy who is a vol. fireman, so I'll ask him about it, just to make sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
huh...didnt know that, ill have to read up on it sometime when i get bored. i live in a small town so i think everyone uses regualar ones around here. cant pick up scrambled frequenices with the digital scanner can u? i know all the state cops are scrammbled around here.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Joe -- thanks for alerting me to digital transmissions. My home county is still eons behind others, and relies on analog dispatch. Philadelphia, of course, is a little ahead.

I'll be using the scanner to pickup railroad frequencies. I can always count on the railroad to use analog signals. :)

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
wow those digital scanner are like 500 bucks....http://www.usascan.com/files/bcd996t.cfm

might look into one tho maybe later. looks like they tell ya who the chanell is tho, thats pretty neat still expensive as hell tho lol

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I'm not too up on it myself, like I said, was pretty surprised when I read that everyone (almost) around here uses this new system. It's some sort of digital trunking system. Supposed to be much better coverage, but beyond that I'm not sure the technical details of it. But from what I was reading I'd have had myself a high dollar weather radio if I bought that Bearcat I found. I'd rather spend the money on a nice shortwave/weather radio, and then wait for the digital scanners to come down.