unidentified 02 explorer front end leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

unidentified 02 explorer front end leak

blovell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 xlt
i came home today and noticed that there had obviously been a puddle of something where i normally park my 02 explorer 4x4 in our driveway. i hadn't noticed it before because it's usually under the front end of my explorer, but it looked like it had been there for a little while. i couldn't tell the color of the fluid because of the dark color of our driveway. it was a few spots. the largest was a foot in diameter with a few 4 to 6 inches in diameter nearby. all of the spots were oily. it looks like it happened over several parkings. all of the spots look to be toward the center of where my front end is when i park in my regular spot. i took it to the dealership to get them to have a look at it and see if they found any leaks. they said they didn't find anything except a very, very small leak on the tranny, but that it wouldn't have made a noticeable spot, let alone a foot wide spot. i'm almost certain that it had to come from my explorer as it's in the spot where my vehicle is always parked. i'm a little nervous that everything may have leaked out and that's why no leak was visible. i would hate to be driving around with my engine or drivetrain not getting lubrication that it needs. as i said, the puddles look to be near the center of the front end of my 02 explorer 4x4. my first thought was the differential and i'd read that the axle seals can sometimes be a problem. however, the shop said they saw no leaks. i'd really like some help or suggestions if anyone has them. there is a piece of white cardboard under the front end as i type this in the hopes i can find the color of this mystery fluid. thanks for your help.

Color is the key. Make sure all engine caps are tight.

Next time put a cooking sheet under it lined with some white paper towels, or a towel to catch whatever is leaking. Red is Tranny, Green is coolant, dark is oil/gear oil.

Back