• Register Today It's free!

Unidentified loose connector

nameiztaken

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EXPLORER XL
Found this right next to the coil pack, not sure what it goes to? Looked everywhere online and cant find any other clear images of it. Maybe someone here knows what its for. 1991 4.0 OHV Explorer, 5spd.
24D580C9-B9C6-4379-B216-D78B88050349.jpeg

Long time lurker but first time poster. This forum has provided a lot of help on my project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't recognize it, but is the vehicle running fine, or...?

By wire colors I think that is a match for a MAP sensor connector for the 91 ranger. 91 MAP appears to be in the firewall.

By wire colors I think that is a match for a MAP sensor connector for the 91 ranger. 91 MAP appears to be in the firewall.
That’s definitely what its for. For some reason it looks like I have a plate there covering the empty slot where the MAP would go...

Don't recognize it, but is the vehicle running fine, or...?
Its running alright for the most part aside from some pinging under load on 87 octane and a rough idle, I’ve done all the usual stuff so I was looking for a potential vacuum leak and noticed this loose connection.
There is no active check engine light, which does work.

Some of the stuff I’ve tried:
replaced lower/upper intake manifold gaskets
searched for vacuum leaks, couldn’t find any
replaced fuel filter & checked pressures, ~29-39psi
replaced spark plugs and wires with autolite single platinums
replaced coil pack
replaced pcv valve
cleaned maf (3x)
cleaned throttle body and IAC
cleaned intake air temp sensor (2x)
used seafoam through brake booster line
used techron in the gas (2x)

looks like I have a plate there covering the empty slot where the MAP would go...
If your 91 was made late in the year, the MAP may have been phased out at that point. No MAP in the 92.

Is it consuming any oil?

Can't say its standard to check yet, but after seeing a recent post about the leaky caps in the pcm, and then finding that is an issue in other fords of the era, I know I would consider it a possible issue in all of these first gens from now on. I'm pulling mine later today.

If your 91 was made late in the year, the MAP may have been phased out at that point. No MAP in the 92.

Is it consuming any oil?

Can't say its standard to check yet, but after seeing a recent post about the leaky caps in the pcm, and then finding that is an issue in other fords of the era, I know I would consider it a possible issue in all of these first gens from now on. I'm pulling mine later today.
It is losing a decent amount of oil, which is why I replaced the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets. Not the fix (unless I botched it? don’t think I did. I’ve done head gaskets on other cars and haven’t botched those...)

it does look like the oil may be coming through the oil pan gasket though. Cant be sure yet.

If the pinging on load was due to a loose lower manifold bolt, according to a few forum posts it would likely conicide with fuzzy#5 spark plug, possible loss of oil&or coolant with no obvious explanation of where it is all going.

Did you use an updated lower gasket (the separated kind) or the original 1 piece?

If your vacuum is 16"Hg or less at idle search again for vacuum leaks. Try capping off the ports that aren't needed for diagnosing engine. Don't need the brake booster, don't need that AC control hooked up.
If vacuum really is fine an injector can stay clogged no matter how much you try to clean with fuel additive. You have only indicated you used techron so far and only used sea foam for your brake booster line (why, btw?) Have you tried the sea foam in you fuel? If you decide to remove the injectors to test, clean etc , there are tiny plastic "pintle caps" on the ends that can be difficult to purchase if you lose them.

If the pinging on load was due to a loose lower manifold bolt, according to a few forum posts it would likely conicide with fuzzy#5 spark plug, possible loss of oil&or coolant with no obvious explanation of where it is all going.

Did you use an updated lower gasket (the separated kind) or the original 1 piece?

If your vacuum is 16"Hg or less at idle search again for vacuum leaks. Try capping off the ports that aren't needed for diagnosing engine. Don't need the brake booster, don't need that AC control hooked up.
If vacuum really is fine an injector can stay clogged no matter how much you try to clean with fuel additive. You have only indicated you used techron so far and only used sea foam for your brake booster line (why, btw?) Have you tried the sea foam in you fuel? If you decide to remove the injectors to test, clean etc , there are tiny plastic "pintle caps" on the ends that can be difficult to purchase if you lose them.
I used a Felpro set identical to this. One gasket per side, the original that came out was a large single gasket.

I used seafoam through the brake booster line to get it into the cylinders as directions said to do, hoping that it would knock free any potential carbon buildup and improve the pinging condition.
13EDDD15-5883-4C2D-BB33-5243EC83DB6E.jpeg

Back