Unlearn a remote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unlearn a remote?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Does anyone know a way to have a 2001 Explorer unlearn a remote key fob? I currently have a remove that works on my 2001 EB and on my 2001 ST. This is a less than ideal situation. If all else fails I suppose I could just replace the key fob with 2 new ones for around $10.

What if I put either vehicle into programming mode and don't program the offending fob?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recall, when put into programming mode can one remote be added or do all have to be added again?

If not it seems like a OBDII dongle and Forscan app can wipe them all out then only the ones wanted can be added.

Edit: Okay I just found some info which I assume is for PATS2 which does state that all remotes have to be present that you want programmed, so just reprogramming the ones you want will drop the other one.

Remote Programming.jpg

Yeah, I know the directions say to repeat for each additional transmitter, but I don't know if previously learned transmitters are forgotten if not reentered. Guess there's only one way to find out. Try it.

Interesting, I never thought of using one fob for more vehicles.

Interesting, I never thought of using one fob for more vehicles.

The issue was that the remote that came with the ST didn't work, so rather than buying a new one I tried programming the spare remote from my EB. In retrospect that was a bad idea, because now if I want to drive the ST I end up unlocking both vehicles. I'm going to try reprogramming the EB to see if it will forget the ST's remote. The ST gets weird when programming remotes. Relays start clicking, lights start flashing and it wont stop... Some kind of electronic gremlin (only time it will do this, but it's a little scary).

That sounds like the best plan, I'd do that too, before buying another remote.

After I try it I'll post the results.

To answer my own question, yes you can unlearn a remote by entering programming mode and only programming the remote(s) you want it to remember.

Excellent. So going into the programming mode erases all codes, and stores just the new remotes entered. Thanks, hopefully I'll never mix mine up etc.

Back