• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Unlocking a Verizon Tablet....

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I picked up a *mint* Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8.0 tablet at a yardsale for $50. Trouble is that it's a Verizon device. I'm a long time AT&T customer. AT&T is GSM-system, with a SIM card. Verizon is CDMA and the two shall not mixt. Or so I thought. The tablet has a spot for a SIM card, but I need to unlock it from Verizon. 'Net research says most modern CDMA devices can use the portion of the GSM network in 4G LTE. You see lots of phones and tablets for sale listed as "unlocked" or "jailbroken", …. so.... how does one do that?

I know I can use the tablet as a WiFi-only device just fine, but that limits it. It's a nice 32GB model with Android 7.1.1 so it's fairly new/recent. Would perhaps like to add a line to my current account and get another SIM to use on this device.

Any help out there or experience doing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
It kinda sounds illegal

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
It kinda sounds illegal

Hardly. Any owner of a device is allowed to unlock it from a fixed carrier once your contract is finished or you own the device. Verizon claims they don't lock theirs, but for a certain time they did. The device has no contract and is free-clear so I should be able to use it with an AT&T sim card.

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Then i guess i’d call verizon and see how to unlock it?

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT

dabrackmaster82

Reaction score
City, State
Woodruff,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt 5.0 AWD
Put the At&t SIM card in. Then go to settings, network, choose network , select gsm instead of cdma. Reboot tablet and that should do it

dabrackmaster82

Reaction score
City, State
Woodruff,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt 5.0 AWD
If its carrier locked, or there is a balance still owed they might still have it locked. If the suggestion i gave doesn't work, call Verizon and ask for the SIM unlock code and instructions on how to

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Put the At&t SIM card in. Then go to settings, network, choose network , select gsm instead of cdma. Reboot tablet and that should do it

The "Network operator" selection is greyed-out and not selectable even with the AT&T sim installed. I'll stop by Verizon tomorrow.