Unnatural engine swap... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unnatural engine swap...

MarineSNiper217

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first post, so I dont know if im going to get a good responce or not...but anyway...

I want to get a new engine for my 1999 XLT 4x4, SOHC (auto), and im still not sure what to get, I want an old crate style engine, but I dont know if I can modify it to fit properly, and obviously, im going to need a new trans. A family member has an old Stang engine, 300+ poines, and im thinking of swapping that in, is it possible? Obviously with modifications to things, but im tired of not finding things for a V6, or if I do its too expensive... My uncle has all the tools, so the swap wouldnt be a problem, what all would I have to do to fabricate room for this? And would I have to get the same year style trans as the engine? its like a 68 or something. Thanks alot!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the motor. If its from a 68 mustang I'd guess it's a 289. Which i would think would fit since it is similar to a 302 block. 302 block will fit and mount up, as Explorers came factory with them. The 351 won't fit as i believe it is either too tall or wide(i think tall, the 4.6 is the wide motor) You'll have to use a manual shifting auto trans (or a electronic with a trans controller like baumann) or a stick. With the right trans you can retain the 4wd. It's going to be a bunch of work and will likely get pretty costly. You will also have to pull your check engine light and od light as they will both flash. It will also likely be illegal as most states won't allow an older motor in an newer emissions vehicle. You're certainly in for some research, starting with what motor you are trying to wedge in there.

RE: Swap

Hey, yea, tallness dosent matter, I know a kid who can custom fabricate body parts, he was going to build me a large hood scoop so maby I could fit a blower anr/or super on it lol. And really engine room might not be a problem either, I saw an, i think, 11" fan for up fron, electric, supposeldy cools better, and I could get a small racing radiator/intercooler. But whats all this about a transmission being electric and all that? Whats the different kinds mean? Thanks:exp:

The 351 won't fit as i believe it is either too tall or wide(i think tall, the 4.6 is the wide motor)

351 is 5.7 ltrs. 4.6 ltrs is a 283. ;)

The engine will not pass emission. The law in in most states is, that you may use only engines newer than the vehicle year. In your case you have 99 you need to use 99+ engine.

If emission are not your concern. I suggest using an AOD from a F-series trunk I will help you with 4WD.

98-2001 Explorer 5.0L V8, but the entire donor and it will bolt in

Yea, but im not looking for a simple V8 bolt in, I want something with power, that I can tune and modify on my time, instead of getting some like $200 programmer and telling it to reprogram my fuel injection or something. I want to be able to get like a super, and modify things. I live in Sangamon County, we dont have emissions tests here, they dont care. Even if they do, they wont think to look, most trucks around here got Borla Exausts. And I dont care about the whole emissions things, pay the fine and get on with it if i get cought...lol

So build the GT-40 5.0L into a power house and put a shift kit in the 4r70w trans

the pushrod 5.0L in the 96-01 Explorer is a great engine to mod, its the last 5.0L ford built it has a roller cam, the GT-40 intakes and the P heads, you can make PLENTY of power, plus its an emissions legal swap, it keeps the DIs ignition, the computer controlled trans and the oBD-II computer which is superior for tuning compared to a carbed mustang 5.0L

Using an older 289 is like working backwards.
The 351 into an explorer has been done a few times, but dont expect an easy fit
the pushrod 5.0L has the largest aftermarket of power adders there is next to the Chevy 350, and the stock block can make alot of power

Hey, yea, tallness dosent matter, I know a kid who can custom fabricate body parts, he was going to build me a large hood scoop so maby I could fit a blower anr/or super on it lol. And really engine room might not be a problem either, I saw an, i think, 11" fan for up fron, electric, supposeldy cools better, and I could get a small racing radiator/intercooler. But whats all this about a transmission being electric and all that? Whats the different kinds mean? Thanks:exp:
Whats the difference between a blower and a "super"?? Engine room is a problem if the motor won't physically fit. You'll need a non electronic controlled transmission since you don't want to use electronics.

The blower is the thing on top of cars...like drag engines, sucks all the air into the manifold like, directly, the super takes it in from the intake really quick, both combined, the super would pull the air straight out, no restrictions (correct me if im wrong, im not sure im correct, thats just my understanding) Combined, that would be like 100 extra horses...

Tranny wise, I dont care, I dont want to mess too much with that, I just want it to go fast lol. Electic or not, dosent matter.

Here is my $.02, I would recommend you really research what has been done and the amount of work that has to be done. I would then recommend you reading up on all emissions laws, federal and state, as federal laws are usually a much bigger fine. A blower and super are the same thing. A super is a supercharger, and a blower is another word for it. As has been stated, the 5.0 swap would be much easier, bolt in, and can be built for a lot of power very easily and without breaking the bank too badly. If you are four wheel drive then I imagine you will want to retain that, and is another thing that will cost money to retain. Transmission wise, theres manual trannys, the ones you have to use a clutch with, automatics that don't use any electronics and like yours, fully electronically controlled. You sound like you don't have a whole lot of experience with cars or motors, these guys here do... I would listen very closely to what they recommend. A few simple bolt on mods with the 5.0 can easily have you pushing close to 300 hp, be street/emissions legal, and be almost a bolt in swap. Plus you would likely see better mileage than any carbed 289 pushing 300 hp. You said you would not want to spend the $200 on a tuner, but the whole swap will cost a lot more than that when you are done, even with a carbed engine and manual trans. Again, this is my oppinion and these guys here are trying to help. Good luck with your project.

Dan

You will not like what i have to reccommend here, but I don't think you should do a project like this.

Reasons:

This project is likely to turn out to be WAY too much money for a 17 y/o kid to do unless you got a money tree growing in your backyard. No offense but you don't seem like you know enough to do a project like this. In turn this would imply that you would need someone else to do this project for you which would cost even more. Doing a custom project vehicle is not cheap, I speak from lots of experience here.

This may not be the answer you are looking for but it is the honest truth. There are those of us in here that speak frm decades of experience with doing custom builds, and high horsepower vehicle builds as well. If you decide to go ahead I would not be surprised if you got about 1/4 the way through and quit bro. Just trying to save you the time, money and heartache. I don't mean this as an insult, just telling you the honest truth based upon my experience.

Give it a few years, save some money and learn as much as you can about modding vehicles and engines and all that and hit it hard again in about 3-5 years.

I didn't realize you were 17. I think Rocket is dead on the money. Judging by your lack of knowledge this is likely to be way over your head. Not only that, it will turn into an incredible waste of money.

You have the right idea just the wrong vehicle.
But if you insist on building your EX up then just get the V8 that comes with an EX and build that up.
To answer your questions:
1- You can modify anything to fit anywhere.
2- If you think V6 parts are expensive, you ain't seen nothing yet.
3- Having all the tools so the swap wouldn't be a problem? Thats the easy part of the swap.
4- Getting a trannie that fits your new engine will elimanate trying to find a bell housing with a bolt up for the engine on one side and a bolt up to the different trannie on the other side. They don't sell these bell housings for every different bolt up. However this too isn't impossible to make one up but now your talking machine shop equipment.
4- As far as what fabricating you will need that is something you will have to find out when you decide what engine you want to put in your EX.
________
If I lived around you I would help you with all of this just to prove that "anything" can be done including the fabricating, fuel injection and computer-electronic change overs.
My question to you is:
Is it worth it?

If I lived around you I would help you with all of this just to prove that "anything" can be done including the fabricating, fuel injection and computer-electronic change overs.
My question to you is:
Is it worth it?

You know Old Mechanic, I think you one of my top ten Fav members on this board.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know Old Mechanic, I think you one of my top ten Fav members on this board.:thumbsup:

________
Thank you. And I really ment what I said.
I remember when I looked every where for a bell housing adapter (Olds J-2 engine to a B&M trannie) for my chopped and channeled Ford pick-up, I finally told my Uncle that we would have to forget using a Olds motor.
He said to me, I probably have the same machinery as they do, I will make it and he did.

Back