Unsure at this point...probs. (repair or sell) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unsure at this point...probs. (repair or sell)

jsun

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport SOHC 4x
Well the time has come; I just broke a 100K (Kilometers that is) this month and have had several issues to deal with all at once. It’s time to make a decision here…. Keep her, fix her, or sell her?

First issue, I think I’m going to have to repair my trans (typical). It seems to shift up and down just fine. I just had a service done and a tablespoon of metal shavings were on the magnet. I was informed that a rebuild is coming soon. It seems very sluggish on the highway, and I am starting to notice a higher rpm vs speed travel in OD? The truck seems very underpowered.

With this I also need to repair/replace the torsion adjusting arms due to Kevlar patch wear. This is still an assumption at this time until I find a warm garage to work in. I have the symptoms of it. Clanging underneath the seats over bumps, and “very poor alignment”.

The truck is also pinging heavily under load. 1.5-3K rpms. I’m sure if I clean MAF, IAC, inspect change plugs and my probs may be solved. I have cleared the memory of the on-board pc, and re-set it with no results.

This repair work is adding up quickly for a new truck, and I just spent $900 (Canadian) in repairs last month to have the rear diff rebuilt, tie rod ends replaced, new batt, and diagnosed for fault codes (none).

Through all the transmission write ups in the “search” of this forum, I have noticed that most statements indicate to replace the trans rather then rebuild. When or what repair work can be done. What classifies a trans to be replaced? How much do I have to pay for this…I can’t afford it until tax time (ughhh).

How much would a v8 swap cost in the long run, parts & labor? Although I’d hate to do this so early in the trucks life.

Should I just give the truck up? What else is next???

Sorry, I’m confused?

J

Back