Update on 02 in need of new engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update on 02 in need of new engine

soonermedic

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Sport Trac
Dropped a valve @ 31,000 miles towed it to Ford Dealership and am following
the steps to file complaint with Ford Corp. estimate received from dealer is
$ 5,100.00 to repair. Will meet with Service Manager & will ask for appt. w/ Rep. Will keep the updates coming. Thanks for everyone's input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get a reman from Jasper and installed for probably less than that and probably a better warranty

-Drew

soonermedic said:
Dropped a valve @ 31,000 miles towed it to Ford Dealership and am following
the steps to file complaint with Ford Corp. estimate received from dealer is
$ 5,100.00 to repair. Will meet with Service Manager & will ask for appt. w/ Rep. Will keep the updates coming. Thanks for everyone's input.

What exactly is a dropped valve? is a valve bent?

Fordlover said:
What exactly is a dropped valve? is a valve bent?

I was wondering that myself. Maybe a valve spring broke, but I have a hard time believing that that would cause a motor to seize.

Dropped valve usually happens when the retainer clips that hold the valve to the valve spring break. I will be interested to see if Ford or the dealer chips in on the repair since it is out of warranty.

Help from Ford???

ffdemoss said:
Dropped valve usually happens when the retainer clips that hold the valve to the valve spring break. I will be interested to see if Ford or the dealer chips in on the repair since it is out of warranty.

Got a call from the service manager who contacted Ford Corp. Ford wants to look @ the engine further so he wanted my permission to pull of the heads. We'll see it sounds like they are interested but I'll let you know what the outcome is. Thanks - Soonermedic

Back