Update On Applique Class Action | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update On Applique Class Action

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info! I have a 2003 Aviator which has the exact issue.

Tom C.

2002 Explorer, got the problem!

I have 2,2003 Explorers with cracks. How would I go about joining a class action suit if they can get it filed in court?

I too have this issue and just about every Explorer I see has cracks.

A question to follow the above question. What if you are not the original purchaser of the vehicle. I have never had to deal with any type of class action lawsuit.

There was already a class action lawsuit and it's been settled. The lawyers got millions while the Explorer owners got a $500 credit toward a new Ford purchase.

As there has already been a finalized lawsuit, it'll be interesting to see if another can take place at all.

If it does, best look into who gets paid what prior to joining.

once there's a crack in the logo, water/moisture will just accumulate in that area, there's no way for it to drain out but on those 2 holes were the lock is. over time it will get rusted and fall off.

12112100_881680955233390_8417558934206038073_n.jpg

ford engineers must be smoking crack when they say water/moisture will exit via the drain passages. it was designed to be there but looking at it, it won't work.

12108273_881680968566722_6955731711315773864_n.jpg

12108194_881680975233388_6388589913707761553_n.jpg

they are just drain for water/moisture from the sides, not from the ones trapped inside.

11949485_865924696809016_2333524066495015342_n.jpg

just pull off?

Can the vertically split panel just be pulled off? Dorman makes a replacement panel that sells on eBay for around $80 but then it has to be painted to match. If I can easily get the panel off then I might just apply fiberglass tape with epoxy on the inside surface bridging the split to keep the water out.

In my opinion, anyone that bought the vehicle with the panel already split would not be eligible for a claim. It can be argued that the negotiated purchase price would reflect the failed panel. However, from a safety standpoint Ford should be forced to repair the panel if there is danger of it falling off resulting in a road hazard.

In my opinion, anyone that bought the vehicle with the panel already split would not be eligible for a claim. It can be argued that the negotiated purchase price would reflect the failed panel. However, from a safety standpoint Ford should be forced to repair the panel if there is danger of it falling off resulting in a road hazard.

What about people like me who bought the truck used?

What about people like me who bought the truck used?

good luck with that :)

i think somebody here just removed the applique and the rubber portion. not sure how he covered the metal portion for the lock. it does look fine plain black all the way IMO. I'll be tackling this fix whenever time permits (got the parts ready) I might do a black plasti dip instead (mustang project keeps me busy)

I bit the bullet in July and had the appliqué replaced at Ford. Maybe I would get a credit?

Most I see are cracked. I had asked Ford about it a couple of years ago as I had heard it was a recall issue. They of course said no. I would love to see the lawsuit go forward just because it is a blatant defect in design that they are not willing to address.

The original class action lawsuit was based on the fact that Ford was aware of the 'alleged' defect in design late 2002 or early 2003, yet continued to produce the design through 2005.

This one is based on a safety issue, so it's a separate deal. It'll have to be proven that it's a safety issue. I don't know if there's enough of these out there where the glass actually shatters.

Oh! I found out when installing my remote start that I do NOT have the factory rear window. I found all sorts of busted glass under neath that kick panel in the rear...

I replaced mine two years ago... Paid for it and got it painted out of my pocket... Cracked again after 1 year. So needless to say, it will not get replaced again.

Back