*UPDATE* Starts normal cold, only gives a single "click" once warn and attempting to start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*UPDATE* Starts normal cold, only gives a single "click" once warn and attempting to start.

Cheddar_Dan

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Top, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Exploder XLT
I must have bragged on how well my truck was doing and jinxed it. :(
The latest problem: starts normally but after warmed up and shut off, cannot restart, it only gives one bid click sound under the hood. Battery replaced started fine, ran for 15 minutes, shut off, no turn-over no start just a big click. I tapped on starter without success.
Does this sound like a typical (nearly) 30 year old starter failure????
THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The latest problem: starts normally but after warmed up and shut off, cannot restart, it only gives one bid click sound under the hood. Battery replaced started fine, ran for 15 minutes, shut off, no turn-over no start just a big click. I tapped on starter without success.
THANKS!
Sounds like a Chevy starter problem. On my 1991 GMC it would do that and was mainly the starter solenoid.i don't know if the solenoid is on the Explorers starter or not. Having a good ground can be very important also. I had a f150 and didn't know to hook up the ground and it would start amazing at first but soon and I mean soon I would cook the starter from not having a ground. If the problem just started maybe the starter is still good?The solenoid is definitely suspect in my book.Also one time I got a junkyard starter to replace one but it turned out to be dirty battery terminals so I would start with checking your terminals for corrosion and loose wires.

My started did the same thing when it broke, and I would suspect the starter. I would change the solenoid first anyway since it is a cheap part and significantly easier to replace than the started.

A little more information will probably be helpful.

If I read your explanation correctly, you improved the situation with a (good/charged) battery swap. If you swapped the battery while system was warm, first suspect the alternator, or the harness to it.
Are you able to charge a battery, install, run, and measure voltage?
Are you able to provide a reason my estimation of the situation should be discarded?

I do not believe the solenoid should be suspected if cold starts are reliable (100%).

*haven't any of your previous posts, which I normally do.

A little more information will probably be helpful.

If I read your explanation correctly, you improved the situation with a (good/charged) battery swap. If you swapped the battery while system was warm, first suspect the alternator, or the harness to it.
Are you able to charge a battery, install, run, and measure voltage?
Are you able to provide a reason my estimation of the situation should be discarded?

I do not believe the solenoid should be suspected if cold starts are reliable (100%).

*haven't any of your previous posts, which I normally do.
Sounds like you might be onto something with the alternator.

Kinda sounds like my turn key, click, all dead situation. Culprit was corrosion between the battery terminal and power wire…

1642360073388.png

THANKS!
Replacing 28 Year Old starter seems to have taken care of the "click" problem (so far).
I'm not going to brag on my truck anymore since it seems to fail soon after receiving any praise! Thanks to all for the help! :)

Back