Updated Window Regulator Design (Doorman) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Updated Window Regulator Design (Doorman)

MinaB

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I recently purchased replacement window regulator 740-673 from OReily for my 2001 ford explorer sport trac, and I think there is a key part missing from the product design. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue or has other solutions.

The original OEM part looks like this (notice the smaller bottom slide):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C14TVI/?tag=serious-20

The doorman updated part comes like this (but with black plastic pieces, notice this is missing the smaller, bottom slide with just a plastic cap in its place):

I think the design overall for the updated doorman part is much better because it will avoid pinching the plastic pieces which is usually what causes these to get stuck and break, however not having the bottom smaller slide will cause the window to roll down at an odd angle since there is nothing anchoring/constraining the bottom of the x to move in only a horizontal direction.

Is this intentional? Should people be using the old small slide to hold down the new part or am I just missing something about how this should work altogether? I would be happy to provide pictures or videos to better explain what I am talking about if folks think they have ideas.

Back