Updates and pictures on my ST project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

  • Register Today It's free!

Updates and pictures on my ST project

chrsb5

New Member
Joined
October 17, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
It's been a while since my first thread and I figured it's time for an update.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372577

it's been going pretty well getting the truck back in shape.

First up was repairing the rust and the worst of the dings and scrapes on the body.
I had a guy I know knock out the dents in the hood and grind down the rust, a minimum of filler was used but to be perfect the hood will eventually need a full respray.

Before:
5oSLvAW.jpg


After:
Z3jRdaj.jpg



The rear bumper was pretty easy, I got a rattle can of the appropriate color(the code escapes me) mixed at the local Napa Auto specifically for plastic, gave it a spray and a coat of clear.

Before:
TS6TeQ9.jpg



After:
XQZUYmC.jpg



Next on the list was improving the driving dynamics. The factory shocks were pretty beat by a relatively low 50k miles. It was a pain in the ass to remove them too. I thought I'd be in for an easy job, due to the relatively simplicity of the suspension on the ST compared to, for example my BMW. The underside rust (more on that in a moment) had other plans. I needed to cut out the front shocks, there was no turning the nut on top of the shock body. The rears came out easier, after a healthy soaking of BP Blaster, but the space constraints and whatever that evap/charcoal box is under the bed that necessitated removal made it a little difficult.

KYB Monomax shocks installed at all 4 corners.

Rear:
aTl6hy6.jpg


Front:
xxGzvNn.jpg



This is my little suburban townhouse 1 car garage.
HVa4bp7.jpg


The ST barely fit.
NEww0fJ.jpg


When I got under the truck I noticed quite a bit of surface rust on the leaf springs and shackles, rear diff cover and some on the bumper supports too. I did my best with wire brushes to remove the worst of it, then applied a couple coats of rust neutralizer/protectant.
DYG7YK1.jpg


5XzISsN.jpg


The spare steel wheel didn't fare much better.
I used a wire brush a scotch brite pads, rust neutralizer spray and a couple top coats of Rustoleum satin black paint.

VMyUXHh.jpg


This is what happens when you let a truck, even a relatively new vehicle sit, sometimes parked on a soft unpaved surface for months at a time.

Lastly I had the transmission flushed and 4 new General Grabber tires installed. The tires that were on the truck, while having allot of tread depth left were flat spotted from sitting.

Next on the agenda is replacing the side step bars. Good guess, they're rusted too.

ODV9UHh.jpg
 






Good job man, keep up the good work.
 






Nice work. Glad to see it being saved.
 






Back
Top