Jacob Linder

"Roadhouse" - Peter Griffin
Reaction score
City, State
Chickamauga, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer EB 4x4
Hello all!

My 06 EB is great and all but I do prefer the black plastic trim on the XLT's over the tacky "wood" vinyl plastic trim. Any idea where I can find some? besides a junk yard of course. Website sources would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why bother with purchasing a set of trim pieces in black? Just pull your existing trim off and paint it the color and finish that you want it to be.

Why bother with purchasing a set of trim pieces in black? Just pull your existing trim off and paint it the color and finish that you want it to be.

I thought about that, but that would require me to sand' prime, and paint it legitimately. That's my OCD kicking in. Plus there is the "wood" design, and the clear coating on top of it so it would be a little more difficult than if it were already a different color. So my thought is it would just be cheaper and less time to buy the plastics

That sort of stuff's gotta be all over the place on Ebay. Have you checked there yet?

the radio bezel is way more money than most want to pay vs. paint or even vinyl wrapping... and you still have to track down the color and button options that you need... $50 for that one piece.. if you are talking about everything then you would need the door switch panels also

the radio bezel is way more money than most want to pay vs. paint or even vinyl wrapping... and you still have to track down the color and button options that you need... $50 for that one piece.. if you are talking about everything then you would need the door switch panels also

Right, and junk yards don't carry many EB. And the XLTS I've found already have that ripped out and I can't work with it haha

That sort of stuff's gotta be all over the place on Ebay. Have you checked there yet?

Yup, it's all aftermarket wraps that mat look tacky. I really would love the XLT staight black platic

Have you thought about the silver pieces from a Mountaineer? I like the look, it has more of an aluminum look than most crappy silver plastic. Also, the matte finish might be more receptive of painting later without the need for much prep beyond a quick wipe with degreaser and/or thinner, especially if you use a plastic-specific paint like Krylon Fusion. The faux wood trim in the EBs actually pushed me in the direction of the Mountaineer to begin with.

Have you thought about the silver pieces from a Mountaineer? I like the look, it has more of an aluminum look than most crappy silver plastic. Also, the matte finish might be more receptive of painting later without the need for much prep beyond a quick wipe with degreaser and/or thinner, especially if you use a plastic-specific paint like Krylon Fusion. The faux wood trim in the EBs actually pushed me in the direction of the Mountaineer to begin with.

I actually never thought about that. I'll have to check into that tonight ! Thanks!

Another idea might be to have vinyl wrap applied to the original trim at a sign shop... probably no more than $50 or so to have all of the wood pieces done, and lots of choice on color/finish.

vinyl wrap would only be tacky if you do one that you dont like...with all the options you can do it in any color you like.... even gloss black..... Im slowly doing all my trim in 4D carbon fiber and it looks 100 times better than the factory fake ass carbon look XLT trim..... I would wrap my whole truck in it if I had that kind of money

vinyl wrap would only be tacky if you do one that you dont like...with all the options you can do it in any color you like.... even gloss black..... Im slowly doing all my trim in 4D carbon fiber and it looks 100 times better than the factory fake ass carbon look XLT trim..... I would wrap my whole truck in it if I had that kind of money

I think the tacky vinyl wrap they're referring to are the eBay flat or molded stick-on kits that are adhesive backed and thick. I'd agree that well applied (professionally in most cases) 3M vinyl wrap looks great assuming the color/finish coordinates well.

Back