Upgrade 96' Limited brake rotors

Live2ski

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
Hi

I have a 96' explorer limited 5.0 V8 AWD. The rotors are worn out and need to be replaced. I tow a camper a lot and want to upgrade to higher performance rotors and brake pads.

Can someone give me a little guidance as to what products are available, what the differences are (such as "slotted" or "drilled" rotors), and where I can get them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Run a search using "brakes rotors pads" as key words. Hit the link at the very top which says "Search." Good luck,

Go with Powerslot rotors and Hawk brake pads. Bleed your brakes, put fresh fluid in and you'll feel a big difference.

Live2ski said:
Hi

I have a 96' explorer limited 5.0 V8 AWD. The rotors are worn out and need to be replaced. I tow a camper a lot and want to upgrade to higher performance rotors and brake pads.

Can someone give me a little guidance as to what products are available, what the differences are (such as "slotted" or "drilled" rotors), and where I can get them?

Check out power slot from Pepboys. I have cross drilled and slotted on my 00 V8 and they are awesome. I just use the life time warranty brake pads from Autozone.

There have been many many threads discussing lots of experiences. Searhc for them, and find more opinions faster. Good luck,

I went with these after i did the spindal lift and replaced all components in teh front end...
I bought them from a guy on here who bought them from JC WHitney and I am very satisfied with them...
I am thinking next brake job on my 2002 I will be adding them to it as I have already had warped rotors on that one..

Attachments

• lift p side new.jpg
    lift p side new.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 190

I too recommend the Power ASlot rotors. I have em and like em.

Thanks

Thanks for you replies and pictures. I now have a better Idea what to get..what it should look like. And Also what more I can do to my explorer!

stock rotors with good pads does wonders.

Had to do a 78-0 dead stop last night, and i was hella impressed by the distance.

A cop was coming the other way, and turned on his lights and started to pull a U turn in the interestion. Well your suppose to yeild to them, and normaly they will just pull out in front anyways... so to the floor the brake pedal went. I wouldnt not have stoped that fast with someone behind me mind you, it was 10:50 pm last night when this happened.

More respect for the explorer now.

Back