Upgrade 99 Exploder 4.0 OHV rear diff to a Powertrax No-slip. Doable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade 99 Exploder 4.0 OHV rear diff to a Powertrax No-slip. Doable?

BadaBingM3

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4WD 2DR Explorer
Has anyone got any experience, reviews good and bad, installation issues, etc. with these Powertrax L.S.D. No-slip traction system? I have a 99 Explorer Sport with a 4.0 OHV. I know my rear diff is NOT a limited slip or any of the factory options. I'm due to repack the rear bearings, change out the oil so wondering if this is a easy install with no problems or even worth it. Powertrax 9206883128: $562.91 with Free Shipping at Andy's Cheers.

I can't speak directly to the question, but I can mention my experiences with at least (3) limited slip devices when it comes to my offroad vehicles (my gx460, well crap, that thing is like gum on the bottom of my shoes good, haha).

Used a Auburn LS unit on a Ramcharger. Wasn't aggressive or useful to be honest.

Had a very reputable TruTrac unit on another Ramcharger 2 years or so ago, and worked fairly well out and about, but in some slower moving sticky situations, not worthy.

Sadly, my best experiences are with the factory and standard Ford Posi-Trac units, the clutch based systems found on all kinds of 8.8's, etc. They work awesome. They work so well, on my prerunner, I have kept it and will not be upgrading to another aftermarket unit or even do a locker. I really like the engagement and it's seamless operation. I run it with 33's, zero issue. I've used them in 3 applications, 4 vechicles +.

Take that for what it is. If it was my $500+ bucks and install, I'd go and upgrade something else and just slap in the super cheap factory Ford LSD.

That's just me.....

I can't speak directly to the question, but I can mention my experiences with at least (3) limited slip devices when it comes to my offroad vehicles (my gx460, well crap, that thing is like gum on the bottom of my shoes good, haha).

Used a Auburn LS unit on a Ramcharger. Wasn't aggressive or useful to be honest.

Had a very reputable TruTrac unit on another Ramcharger 2 years or so ago, and worked fairly well out and about, but in some slower moving sticky situations, not worthy.

Sadly, my best experiences are with the factory and standard Ford Posi-Trac units, the clutch based systems found on all kinds of 8.8's, etc. They work awesome. They work so well, on my prerunner, I have kept it and will not be upgrading to another aftermarket unit or even do a locker. I really like the engagement and it's seamless operation. I run it with 33's, zero issue. I've used them in 3 applications, 4 vechicles +.

Take that for what it is. If it was my $500+ bucks and install, I'd go and upgrade something else and just slap in the super cheap factory Ford LSD.

That's just me.....
Interesting. I'll have to see if I can find a OEM LSD that will plug right in. Cheers.

Back