Upgrade headlight to different bulbs (non HIR/HID) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade headlight to different bulbs (non HIR/HID)

wraith_2006

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So I have the halogen bulbs, and I must admint they are not as bright as I was hoping they would be, however I dont really want to do the mod of and HIR or HID bulb..... so what are my options for just a bulb replacement with a brighter output?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's....they are brighter, but they are only projected to last 125 hours of run time, so I'm going to swap them out and only use them when I'm not driving around the city. The swap is easy enough....and I'm just not confident enough in my abilities to install an HID kit.

Got the Silverstar zXe which is almost HID like in color but not on light output. Looks like the stock ones on the 2011's are Sylvanias. After installing it it did improve the look of the lights since its more on the bright white with a tint of blue. As for light output... it was almost the same but with white light instead of yellowish.

You will have to go with real HIDs if you want it to be brighter. I might have to go real HIDs when I have time to install it.

Here is a look at the lights. Sorry for poor quality shot, my phone does not get good quality pics with low light.

emblem1.jpg

Back