Upgrade my interior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade my interior

deloacda

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury MountIneer
I am trying to find out 2 things. 1)Where can I find modified replacement parts for the interior; Seats, door panels ect.(not the factory stock items) 2) Will any of the newer Mountaineers 2002 and up parts fit in my interior eithor direct fit or with a little modification.
I want to upgrade my interor to a newer look and am not sure of my options. I tried painting the door panels and center consol. It turned out ok but not as good as i expected.
One last thing. I ordered a complete carpet kit that quoted it would be an exact fit, but it was not. I have it installed but it looks bulky in several spots. I ordered it from AutoCustomCarpets. Has anyone had any positive luck with replacing their carpet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1.) Not really going to. LMC Truck may have some parts.

2.) No.

3.) Exact fit carpets usually mean that you may have to trim and poke holes. Unless you spend big bucks and find an OEM Ford carpet, you're going to have minor fit issues.

Carpet swap

Hey I replaced my carpet in my 1995 Sport about 3 months ago, and I ordered my complete carpet kit from an Ebay store called Stock Interiors. I changed the color from the factory grey to a solid black because I upgraded my interior all at the same time and part of my upgrade was to completely change up the color scheme inside. It was all the dull boring grey but now it is all two-tone grey and black.

The carpet was custom made to my truck so yes it was made to fit. I did in fact come larger than it needed to be and I had to so some trimming around all the edges once I got it nice and tucked up under the dash where I wanted it. The bottom floor pan was molded to match my car so it was pretty easy to line up. I did have to cut the hole for the gear shift and ALL the little bolt holes throughout the inside. In regards to it being bulky, yes it is made a little oversized to ensure a proper fit and then the way they roll it up to ship it doesnt help the issue....but rest assured that once you get it in place as long as you made it a good snug fit, the bulky parts will start to relax over time. I have had mine installed for a few months now and it looks great to me. The corners all relaxed and everything seems to be nice and form-fitted.

As far as upgrading other parts on the inside I did paint one or two pieces but I did most of my changes by re-wrapping certains pieces and parts in a new fabric. I even re-did my entire headliner with a new fabirc rather than the usual headliner material. I think mine is much more durable and the linen texture of the fabric I chose really makes it look different. I have added a few pics here to show you a little of what I did. One of the pics is of the nasty old carpet after I ripped it out, another of the pics is of the completely gutted inside of my truck, and then the last is of the changes that I made to my doors alone.

If you have any other questions or want any other information or pics from my truck please just let me know.

Attachments

• DSC_0591.jpg
    DSC_0591.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 620
  • DSC_0589.jpg
    DSC_0589.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 620
  • IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 639

Its been a while but ive picked it back up. can you post more photos of what you've done. Yes I also striped out the inside. I will also post photos of my work. I am painting the interior. The carpet looked ok after it set for a while. I still have the old carpet and am thinking about dying it. I saw some stuff online of people doing it and it looked good.

IIRC 3rd gen seats should fit with minimal mods.

I went to take down my headliner to replace the cloth. CAN OF WORMS!! The board came down in pieces. Question. Does the Explore without sunroof board fit mine if I take out my sunroof? Which I have done. I sealed off the opening where the glass was. Now in the process of making a customized board. But would prefer to use an original if they would fit.

love those door panels what did you use?
Hey I replaced my carpet in my 1995 Sport about 3 months ago, and I ordered my complete carpet kit from an Ebay store called Stock Interiors. I changed the color from the factory grey to a solid black because I upgraded my interior all at the same time and part of my upgrade was to completely change up the color scheme inside. It was all the dull boring grey but now it is all two-tone grey and black.

The carpet was custom made to my truck so yes it was made to fit. I did in fact come larger than it needed to be and I had to so some trimming around all the edges once I got it nice and tucked up under the dash where I wanted it. The bottom floor pan was molded to match my car so it was pretty easy to line up. I did have to cut the hole for the gear shift and ALL the little bolt holes throughout the inside. In regards to it being bulky, yes it is made a little oversized to ensure a proper fit and then the way they roll it up to ship it doesnt help the issue....but rest assured that once you get it in place as long as you made it a good snug fit, the bulky parts will start to relax over time. I have had mine installed for a few months now and it looks great to me. The corners all relaxed and everything seems to be nice and form-fitted.

As far as upgrading other parts on the inside I did paint one or two pieces but I did most of my changes by re-wrapping certains pieces and parts in a new fabric. I even re-did my entire headliner with a new fabirc rather than the usual headliner material. I think mine is much more durable and the linen texture of the fabric I chose really makes it look different. I have added a few pics here to show you a little of what I did. One of the pics is of the nasty old carpet after I ripped it out, another of the pics is of the completely gutted inside of my truck, and then the last is of the changes that I made to my doors alone.

If you have any other questions or want any other information or pics from my truck please just let me know.

Back