upgrade the motor like a new video card | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

upgrade the motor like a new video card

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
serious explorer will a newer 2000x sohc fit in a 94? theres all kinds of engine ideas including the typical 5.0 from 94 although harder to find than the 4.0 there are even more engines from 1998 on

normally you would think that is the logical step to take when doing a rebuild is something that will drop in without a saw for the year

is logical solution sohc or dohc concerning upgrade path ?

ford with the germans decided to stay traditional with ohv rather than SOHC for 94 but sohc has been around for 20 years the germans knew benifits if you have ever been in a 70's 280sel with sohc its a super cruiser at a 100 all day on the highway ....and what a ride .....but can the power safely be transferred to our truck tranny with all the RRR's or is this were 95 through 2011 fails? its a truck dammit one of the designs is to transfer the power youll never get to use the differences of RRR's when you have to change out the tyranny every 60000 miles clutch pack change ???

speed governor implemented also for 94 it must of topped out with a little too much naturally i watched some u tubers have it all the way open and its a fast motor they blew it up intentionally but the R's r there
concerning freeway speed ?????.....fear and loathing the highway the insurance the repairs the tranny?

the turbo v6 and supercharged v8 were neck and neck at one time if i was building a street truck id think more RRR's shorter stroke and matched cam crank piston rods and matched head no options no aftermarket or is there ???
considering the latest in prototyping someone with the blueprints could of done the deed already and sent it out to manufacturing

its cool since I want to just upgrade and still make it fit what is the best option? still want the option of street and trail working throw out the 4x4 and anything is possible ????

Looking for a more modern motor than what I have now as an upgrade path and hoping technology is going to benefit me like a new video card

........Id love to have a classic but I wouldn't leave it stock Id have to have the newest antidive shocks adjustable abs the newest fuel injection system the newest rack and the newest gear box and gears so I could actually appreciate the ride like a newer sport car not the hope to sell it like a classic prim rose or drive it like a 90lb clutch from light to light

:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will it swap? Sure. Is it a bolt in NO. The amount of work to get it swapped you may as well swap in a 5.0L.
Personally from the real world that I have seen with the SOHC engine...it's a nightmare. Breaks, has timing chain issues every 80K miles. Generally a much more unreliable engine then the OHV.

I'd agree, the 4.0L OHV, and the 93-97 OHV in particular, is a good motor that's reliable and relatively easy to work on. There are common issues like the soft factory rocker arms, but once you fix all that stuff they're good for a long long time.

The SOHC is a more modern design, makes more HP and torque, sure, but as mentioned, the dual timing chains and lots of other complicated parts make it more complex and expensive to work on.

Unless there was some compelling reason to keep a 91-94 body and swap in a SOHC motor, I'd say you're better off just buying a newer Explorer that already has the SOHC in it.

im going to probably buy an engine stand and a 200~300 dollar original block and go from there thanks im not that picky really it would be nice to upgrade here in florida not much to stop a performance build .... just has to have a muffler he ha .... im still looking
but good advice there was a meeting of the masses to get this design up and pray tell a lot of brain went into it I like it when ford uses the pony idea and you can get unlimited parts no pun intended .....

As I said before, you got the wrong platform for a performance build. Gonna cost you a ton & still be slow. But If you have the $ go for it. I would say buy a Ranger instead of the X. Lighter & easier to work on since the bed is removable. I have seen NOS running 5.0 rangers at the track running 11's.

Back