Upgrade to a SYNC 2 or 3 in a 4th Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade to a SYNC 2 or 3 in a 4th Gen

Brian Jordan

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited V8
I don't currently mind the original head unit in my 2010. It has all the features I'd like, but the screen is a tad small and it's starting to look a little dated. My GPS maps are also sorely outdated (originals) and in need of what I recently found out is an expensive and time consuming Ford update. I'd considered an aftermarket head unit, but I like the OEM look, fit and finish of the factory unit. My ex had the SYNC 2 with My Ford Touch in her '14 Focus ST and I really liked the lay out as well as the 8" screen.

Is this a possible/practical upgrade? I figured picking up a used head unit on Ebay still had to be half the cost or better than anything the aftermarket has to offer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm new here having just bought my 14 Friday but from what I have found on other threads ( Explorer Audio upgrade(s) ) you are looking at a costly upgrade. Some have suggested this as an option but I am not quite ready to order something I can't see first M254 Ford Explorer Media SatNav 2012-15 – RoadNavi .

I'm to the point of going with the Metra console and a Kenwood digital media receiver with Android Auto even thought the Metra does not retain the factory look or a/c controls. Metra 99-5847CH Dash and Wiring Kit (Charcoal Gray)

I'm new here having just bought my 14 Friday but from what I have found on other threads ( Explorer Audio upgrade(s) ) you are looking at a costly upgrade. Some have suggested this as an option but I am not quite ready to order something I can't see first M254 Ford Explorer Media SatNav 2012-15 – RoadNavi .

I'm to the point of going with the Metra console and a Kenwood digital media receiver with Android Auto even thought the Metra does not retain the factory look or a/c controls. Metra 99-5847CH Dash and Wiring Kit (Charcoal Gray)
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I guess this isn't an easy, or common swap....so I'll probably just keep my OE system for the time being. Would love to modernise it with a larger, more updated screen, but don't want to take the chance of losing any of my factory functionality. Seems Ford made the SYNC systems a little more complex than they needed to be?

Back