Upgrade to CatBack/Muffler Back? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade to CatBack/Muffler Back?

Awesome96XLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Hello everyone, I have a 96 xlt explorer and have a 9" magnaflow performance muffler on stock piping. It sounds great but isn't quite loud enough for my liking. I think my resonator is off too. Here is the deal. I can upgrade to quarter inch larger pipe from muffler back for 60 bucks or change the whole catback piping to 2.25" for 100 bucks. How meaner/louder will my exhaust sound from muffler back and from catback. Should I do 2.5 instead of 2.25? I am doing single out btw. Thanks for your input.

Going to a larger diameter piping is doing nothing more than lowering the restriction flow levels. But, in doing that you can lose torque doing that if you go over board on the size.

The desired sound you want to achieve is in the parts you use. Go with a aftermarket hi-flo cat and then a chambered muffler. Flowmaster, Hooker Aero Chamber, Pro Flo and the likes. I do believe the Magnaflows are not chambered but designed for straight flow with a mesh packing inside for noise control levels. I would not go over a 2.25 diameter piping on a 4.0 engine, unless you have had motor work done along with upgrades to go with it.

I personally buy and desire a Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, a great sounding muffler. I have had all kinds in my 40 yrs and the Hooker to me is the best sounding muffler out there.

Hope this helps ya.

Back