Driveway flexing!
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
A while back I added ram assist to my steering. This went mostly very well but the stock power steering pump isn't really quite up to the task of providing enough volume to allow for rapid/high energy steering. Basically, when I am U turning in the cul-de-sac I have to wait for the pump to catch up to my input. The power is much better than it was before, but the volume is in definite need of MORE. It is about the same on my old pump to the new pump I installed a while back (in hopes it was a worn out pump).

I have looked over the West Texas Off Road web site at their information on modifying power steering pumps. I think the same mods could be applied to the stock Ford pump, but they are different enough that its not slam dunk easy as the Saginaw pumps that all their documentation is made for.

I have modified the Saginaw pumps before with great results. I have one on my 67 Bronco that is running hydro boost brakes and another size larger ram. Plenty of power and volume on that one.

Anyone here have any experience modifying our pumps? Any vendors that offer bolt-in upgraded pumps for not a stupid price?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember drilling-out the orifice to get more pressure out of a Saginaw. I wonder if that would apply to these pumps?

I just sent them an Email. I'll let everyone know what their response is.

Back