• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
With my brushguard and winch on the front of my 99, it causes the front end to sag down noticably. Like 1" to 1 1/2". I did the TT lift to level it out, but it has already settled and is still low. Would upgrading to a better set of torsion Bars be what I need to do? I heard that the EB's had stronger ones in them? Or is there another option ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
With the winch and brushguard off the front of the Explorer, the front end sits level. Am I on the right track about replacing the Torsion Bars, or is there another problem? Anyone know or can you point me to a link? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
If it evens out with the weight off then yes, it is most likely the bars.

Check your spring code on your driver's door sticker. The first number should be the tbar code. The decoding values are somewhere on here, but basically "B" is the stiffest and anything further in the alphabet is softer. You could see about getting a set of B bars if you have another set, but I don't think there are any aftermarket ones out there.

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
Thanks for the reply Alec. I wasn't sure if I was on the right track or not. So now I have to find a set of B bars. Probably in a V8 explorer?

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Funny you should bring this up today. I talked to John Vanek today to see if he had any connections with torsion bar manufacturers. It has always been my opinion that those that are doing torsion twists need to upgrade their bars to one with a higher rate which will hold the truck at the desired height without excessive cranking. That will eliminate the problem of the eventual sag back to stock height many of you have experienced. It will also reduce the likely hood of breaking a bar or an adjustment bolt.

I had a Mazda B2600I PU with a torsion twist. The best thing I ever did to that truck was to add heavy duty torsion bars. The ride quality improved and the tendency to bottom out offroad was drastically reduced.

Unfortunately John didn't have any words of encouragement. I think we would need to place a huge advance order for any of the big manufactureres to produce a new bar for the late model Explorers. I still plan on researching this a bit more though.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Thanks Rick.

I do have a set of B bars in my garage for whenever I feel like putting them on. For now I'm fine with my stockers.

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
There seem to be even stiffer bars than code B.

They are codes 1 and 2. I don't know of anyone running them though. Also, torsion bars are cheap. Mine were 50 a piece for the B's. With just a couple cranks, my truck could be at the max of it's suspension travel.

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
I talked with the guy at the local shop again today. While I was there he called a couple of his parts people. They told us that there is actually 12 or 14(i think this is right) different ratings on the torsion bars. So we decided to go about 3 or 4 stiffer than my stock ones. I am not sure exactly how stiff or what code these will be, but he said it would be plenty to keep my front end from sagging with the brushguard and winch on there.

I also tried to get some info from Ford on this. They only list 1 set on there parts list. no difference for package, 2dr/4dr, or engine. But...they also were discontinued over a year ago so they don't make/sell them anymore.

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Jason,
Where would one get these "1" or "2" torsion bars?

Chris,
Where is your local guy getting these bars from?
There are a number of torsion bars but is he talking about ones that are stronger than the "B" rated bar?

I am going to need some new torsion bars soon. I am cranked all the way up and I'm still sitting level. The extra 200 pounds up front are taking their toll on the torsion bars.

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
I am not sure where exactly he is getting them. The guy he called was fairly local and had them in stock. Said he could get them in tomorrow.
I do know they are new and not used ones. I found i set of used bars off of a V8 but the new ones were only $10 more.
I will talk to him either tomorrow or friday when I go to pick them up and get more information and I will post what I find.

Jason_25

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ray, Ford sells them.

I beleive they are the famed "South American" explorer bars that the guys on ORR are talking about :rolleyes:

When I bought mine, I figured B would be stiff enough and I was right. It's about the perfect stiffness now.

brad702

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and I think its great and wished I had found it earlier. anyway
Has anyone been successful at finding oversized Torsion bars for the late model XLt's. I used to have a toyota 4runner and went out bought 26mm Bars and add-a-leafs double shock mounts raised it a couple of inches and really made it offroad worthy. Honestly, know one carries this stuff for a Ford? Thanks for any help.

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
I checked on mine again today. The parts guy misunderstood thye first time and sent the same strength I had to begin with. They were the "B" bars.
The ones that should be coming in are two levels up from those. I don't know a part # on them or their rating "letter" yet, but I will when they come in.

Jason_25

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Chris, two levels above "B" should be the highest spring rate, "1".

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
THat was what I was thinking it should be. I will make sure when they come in on Monday.

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Chris, Please let me know what the part Number for the "1" rated torsion bar is. That sounds about the right stiffness as the grill guard and winch together are 200 pounds.

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
Yea..200 pounds is about what I was figuring on. Right now mine is under that without the headlight guards on., but I plan on adding them down the rode. I will get a part # for them when I pick it up in a day or so and post it for you.

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Ray and all others;

I have an 01 Sport Trac and my drivers door sticker lists my Torsion Bars as "1". I have thought for a long time that they were much stiffer than other Ex's but you may want to give a look at the Sport Trac Torsions as replacement(s). I do not have a Part # that I can locate unless there is a nomenclature on the bars themselves that I can pull off and post ?! Let me know if this is any help. I have not met or seen an Sport Trac with different bars than the 'one's' that I mentioned above, so maybe just having a vehicle that they are on will help. Let me know if I can offer anything else.
:)

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
Where would an "L" bar fall on the charts? Can someone tell me where I could find the information on the different codes and their corresponding spring rates? Would it be in a Haynes? Ford keeps giving me the run around on the information and so far I can't get a clear answer from them.

Becker : Are the bars off of the sport track the same length and everything where they would fit a regular explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

brad702

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Does anyone happen to know what the MM size of the stock bars are?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trckmagik UPGRADE YOUR TORSION BARS Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
R Rfoley22 Un-conventional Suspension Upgrade Project Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
B Tie rods scraping body panel underneath feet after Bilstein shock upgrade. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
C Leaf Spring Upgrade for '98 Sport Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
P need some advice on sas or fix/upgrade stock Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
E Good shock upgrade... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
P radius arm upgrade ? for a 91 4x4 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
D DBR - Ranger/Explorer Clevis Steering Upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
F Shock Upgrade for Better Ride Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
V Suspension Upgrade or just fix it Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
F Towing / Rear Suspension Upgrade Options? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
S Rear axle hydrolic dampener upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
0 Camburg 98+ 4x4 Upgrade Installed Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 27
S Please provide advice with an upgrade. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
D D35 - D44 TTB upgrade! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
gage DANA 35 UPGRADE Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
T What to upgrade to? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
J '99 Explorer Sport 4x4 shock upgrade? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
I '99 Sport Rear sway bar upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
Diff Whack Daddy Cheap front sway bar upgrade for superlift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
T Bent torsion bar adjustment bolt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
B Is this the correct size for longer torsion bolt? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
B Do I need longer shocks if I adjust 1/2" Torsion bars? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
N I need help doing the torsion twist. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
R torsion keys and shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
9 torsion bars Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
sport97 Torsion Key Question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
R Airbag torsion bar adjustment. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
5 Anyone have 34x10.50s with a torsion twist? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
I how to change torsion bolt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
S Does doing a 2" torsion twist without rear shackles look bad? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
duncanNidaho Torsion Twist problems (2WD 99 sport) Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
C does a 1991 2 door sprt explorer have a torsion twist bar?? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
K small torsion Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
G torsion bolt specs Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
Y Torsion Twist different height measurements! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S I did the torsion twist, and now I have a problem with the shocks. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 19
S Truxxx 3" Front Torsion Keys & Pro Comp Rear Add-A-Leaf Lift Kit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 15
GJarrett Torsion/Coilover Conversion Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 150
T So I did a Torsion Twist Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
T Longer Torsion Bolts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
storlied Torsion Bolts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 34
storlied Torsion Bolts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
N Springs and Torsion bar upgrades. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 13
9 Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 199
Glen4X4 Quest on the torsion/shackle link Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
W Goodbye Torsion Bars Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 69
wisekise torsion bar lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
J Torsion Lift for a Ranger Edge Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
R does 1999 4wd v6 expos have torsion bars? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1