• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

Lacky01

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
bout to resurrect an old thread, but I gots questions!

:dead:

I'm going to replace my H rated bars with A rated bars. we were able to pull the junkyard bars without the aid of a gear puller/torsion bar tool. would I need one for the bars on my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jrjr2u

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY near Rochester
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
Greets!

I am installing a Curtis homepro plow on my 97 sport. Actually the plow is installed and now it sags a bit as expected so I ordered the #1 torsion bars thanks to this thread from HERE. Im sure this will help but probably will not elimanate the sag so I am also installing Timbrens .... Best Price I found on them was from Rock Auto.

I considered air bags and found some HERE. While the adjustability of air bags would be nice, I opted for the simplicity of Timbrens. They are widely recommended in the plowing communities.

I will take it easy.... don't worry. I've read all the warnings about plows on the X....

Just wanted to say thanks for this forum and all of the info it contains. It's been very helpful!!

jrjr2u

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY near Rochester
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
An update. Not too long after my last post I had the new bars installed. It was a real chore to remove the bars since I live in upstate ny with all the salt. Once loose in the back, the fronts were stuck. My buddy held a solid steel bar on the front of the torsion bar and I wailed on it with a 10 pound fence maul many many times after heating it with an oxy/act torch. They finally came out.

The ride if firm but not harsh. I like it actually. Now with my rather light plow (450#) the front does not sag nearly as much as with the stock bars. It's acceptable for now and working ok. I have plowed a few times with success.

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Yes, I know this is a Torsion Bar thread, but since its been brought up... Are the leaf springs in a sport trac any.. firmer.. than the explorers? If so I might as well find a salvage Sport Trac and pull both the TB's and the Leafs..

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
This any help? Use VIN on bottom link for accuracy.
I got this from my Ford guy today.

PART NUMBER_________DESCRIPTION
F67Z 5B326-FB...........LH,SPRING CODE 1
F67Z 5B326-FA...........RH,SPRING CODE 1

Just in case anyone wants to know the part number of the "B" rated torsion bar

PART NUMBER_________DESCRIPTION
F57Z 5B327-A...........LH,SPRING CODE B
F57Z 5B326-A...........RH,SPRING CODE B

They did not have any specs on the torsion bars. I am hoping one of the Ford Engineers will be able to shed some light on this.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...-engine/front-suspension-cat/torsion-bar-scat

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Bringing up an old thread again. Was really interested to read that the Sport Tracs had stiffer Torsion Bars than the Explorers. I figured I'd pick a set up. Then I checked the spring codes on my 2000 Eddie Bauer and found it already has a spring code of "1F". If I was reading correctly the "B" was the stiff bars for the Explorers... So I've already got the stiffest bars available?

Sonny1597

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 2dr
After about two ears of trying to convert my 2001 Explorer Sport to coil overs I gave up. Nobody makes the brackets anymore. So I then tried to get better shocks but what I had on the Ford was as good as it was going to get. I went so far as to call ARB in Australia about Ford Rangers and their version of the Explorer. They had nothing but gave me a clue of where to go next. Ford! After reading all the past notes I went to Ford and told them what I needed .. parts guy ordered it and I had the new torsion bars two days later. My door code said 'D3' .. so I ordered the '1' and had Desert Rat install them. Brian, the mechanic at Rat told me he didn't think they would work, the ride would be way to stiff .. but we went ahead with it and after he was amazed that the ride was much better! So the bars along with the Rancho 5000's .. which were on the front already .. really made a difference not only in the handling but the Ford steers differently now .. to the better! If you are going to do this read all the info on this whole post. It will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trckmagik UPGRADE YOUR TORSION BARS Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
R Rfoley22 Un-conventional Suspension Upgrade Project Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
B Tie rods scraping body panel underneath feet after Bilstein shock upgrade. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
C Leaf Spring Upgrade for '98 Sport Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
P need some advice on sas or fix/upgrade stock Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
E Good shock upgrade... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
P radius arm upgrade ? for a 91 4x4 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
D DBR - Ranger/Explorer Clevis Steering Upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
F Shock Upgrade for Better Ride Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
V Suspension Upgrade or just fix it Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
F Towing / Rear Suspension Upgrade Options? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
S Rear axle hydrolic dampener upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
0 Camburg 98+ 4x4 Upgrade Installed Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 27
S Please provide advice with an upgrade. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
D D35 - D44 TTB upgrade! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
gage DANA 35 UPGRADE Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
T What to upgrade to? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
J '99 Explorer Sport 4x4 shock upgrade? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
I '99 Sport Rear sway bar upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
Diff Whack Daddy Cheap front sway bar upgrade for superlift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
L Why do I need to buy torsion keys? Why not just crank bolt? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
T Bent torsion bar adjustment bolt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
B Is this the correct size for longer torsion bolt? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
B Do I need longer shocks if I adjust 1/2" Torsion bars? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
N I need help doing the torsion twist. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
R torsion keys and shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
9 torsion bars Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
sport97 Torsion Key Question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
R Airbag torsion bar adjustment. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
5 Anyone have 34x10.50s with a torsion twist? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
I how to change torsion bolt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
S Does doing a 2" torsion twist without rear shackles look bad? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
duncanNidaho Torsion Twist problems (2WD 99 sport) Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
C does a 1991 2 door sprt explorer have a torsion twist bar?? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
K small torsion Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
G torsion bolt specs Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
Y Torsion Twist different height measurements! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S I did the torsion twist, and now I have a problem with the shocks. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 19
S Truxxx 3" Front Torsion Keys & Pro Comp Rear Add-A-Leaf Lift Kit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 15
GJarrett Torsion/Coilover Conversion Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 150
T So I did a Torsion Twist Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
T Longer Torsion Bolts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
storlied Torsion Bolts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 34
storlied Torsion Bolts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
N Springs and Torsion bar upgrades. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 13
9 Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 199
Glen4X4 Quest on the torsion/shackle link Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
W Goodbye Torsion Bars Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 69
wisekise torsion bar lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
J Torsion Lift for a Ranger Edge Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0