Upgrade Torsion Bars? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

Code "A" torsion bars

Great site and great information. I know this is an old thread but I am about to change my torsion bars to something stiffer. Reading all the posts above I get the impression that the stiffest springs are 1 then 2 then B all the way to L. I have a 4 door '96 XLT 5.0 V8 and the door jamb sticker says spring code "A F". The 3 layer rear leafs should be the F so the torsion bars must be "A" yet nobody has mentioned the "A" before. The factory stickers around the torsion bars are Drivers Side - F67A-FA LFA (yellow sticker) and the Passenger Side - F67A-FA RFA (white sticker). Can anyone tell me which springs are stiffer than my "A's"? My dealer says they have no information on spring rates.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sway bars from 95-97 are the same, Hollow front and back. 98- 01 have a solid front bar and a hollow back bar.

T bar ratings range from 1,2 A, B, D , E , F (I think those are the right letters). 1 being the stiffest, F being the softest. I'm not sure how the t-bars were distributed throughout years/models/options though.

Whats up fellow X Owners,

I am currently looking to find a new set of Torsion Bars. I asked the local dealer and they said all he needs is the last 8 digits off the VIN of any vehicle to find the spring rate.

I took the last 8 digits off a 4 Door V8 sitting at the local junk yard. I called up the ford dealer and he said the spring rate was "2". See list above for spring rates, 1 being the stiffest and F being the softest.

~CMAXXXXXX

Whats up fellow X Owners,

I am currently looking to find a new set of Torsion Bars. I asked the local dealer and they said all he needs is the last 8 digits off the VIN of any vehicle to find the spring rate.

I took the last 8 digits off a 4 Door V8 sitting at the local junk yard. I called up the ford dealer and he said the spring rate was "2". See list above for spring rates, 1 being the stiffest and F being the softest.

~CMAXXXXXX

What year was the junk yard 4 door V8?

Can anyone tell me which springs are stiffer than my "A's"? My dealer says they have no information on spring rates.
Thanks.
The #1 bars are stiffer than the "A" bars or the "2" bars and they are the highest rate available from Ford. They are used on some Ranger 4x4 Supercabs and are a direct replacement for 95~2001 Explorers. Here are the part numbers:

F67Z-5B326-FA
F67Z-5B326-FB

Last time I checked, the dealer price was about $55 per side. Online, around $40 each (plus shipping).

T bar ratings range from 1,2 A, B, D , E , F in order. 1 being the stiffest, F being the softest.

CMAXXXXXX~

:usa: Do the sport-trac and ranger have the same suspention up front? I know the FX4 use heavier bars, how about the edge?

I am having a really hard time finding quality lifts out there for late model rangers. Any help? I know some of you run the superlift 4", how do you like it?

Jesse

:usa: Do the sport-trac and ranger have the same suspention up front? I know the FX4 use heavier bars, how about the edge?
The torsion bar rate is computer selected on the assembly line based on vehicle configuration and option content.

All FX4 LII Rangers use the strongest "1" bar. A 4x4 Edge could have either "1" or "B" bars depending on how it is equipped. The "F" bar is used on the lighter Rangers such as the 2WD regular cab Edge.

The torsion bar rate is computer selected on the assembly line based on vehicle configuration and option content.

All FX4 LII Rangers use the strongest "1" bar. A 4x4 Edge could have either "1" or "B" bars depending on how it is equipped. The "F" bar is used on the lighter Rangers such as the 2WD regular cab Edge.
Good deal. I'll see if I can find out what it has. Thanks for the help.

I'll see if I can find out what it has.
Just read the spring code on the cert label on the door jamb. The torsion bar code is the first digit and the leaf spring code is the second digit. My Level II has "1C" which is the highest rate torsion bars and highest rate leaf pack available on Rangers. Later Fords (2004+??) use a digit for each corner, so the equivalent LII code for newer Rangers would be "11CC".

Just read the spring code on the cert label on the door jamb. The torsion bar code is the first digit and the leaf spring code is the second digit. My Level II has "1C" which is the highest rate torsion bars and highest rate leaf pack available on Rangers. Later Fords (2004+??) use a digit for each corner, so the equivalent LII code for newer Rangers would be "11CC".
I looked at the code last night. 1C, so I guess I don't have to worry about the tbars or springs being too weak. Did you do a 5.0 swap in yours?

Hi all, I know this is a t-bar thread, but does anyone have the part number for the pork chop looking thing on the end of the Tbar?

torsion bar after market

G Day mate
I would to like to by non genuine torsion bars. mine are soft and can not buy any in australia all I can get new one from ford :thumbsup: :thumbsup: regards Darren

Hi all, I know this is a t-bar thread, but does anyone have the part number for the pork chop looking thing on the end of the Tbar?

Do you mean the tortion bar hanger? I love pork chops :D

I was looking at the 2-3" lift from fat bobs garage. It adds a leaf in the rear and uses a different t-bar hangar in the rear (i'm assuming to crank it up). Does anyone know if this will put too much stress on the t-bar??? I have code "1" bars in it, so I can't get a stronger one.

Mine say F57A, could anyone tell me what stiffness these are?

Torsion bars are now up to $90 EACH!!

Anyone have a better source?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer has "1" grade springs. They are saging on the driver side. I would like to replace them. Were can i get them for cheaper than 90 dollars?

Is there anything that i can buy to help saging after i do a TT. Maybe coilover shocks?

Back