Upgraded headlight bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded headlight bulbs

I was considering putting Sylvania Hi-Visibility (9007HV) bulbs in my '00 Explorer, but have been hearing that Ford uses cheap fixtures that will actually melt when anything other than standard halogen (9007) bulbs are installed.

Has anyone had their light fixtures melt when using different bulbs?

The Hi-Visibility halogens are supposedly 30% brighter than standard halogens, but I can't imagine why the fixtures would melt. Then again, I don't want to spend $20 on bulbs just to have to buy $200 light fixtures down the road.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lotz of people use 9007 xenon bulbs, which are usually at 3800 to 4300 kelvin, which are much higher temps than stock. i doubt you'll have a problem, but if you do, just put the stock back in, and use your warranty.. lol

you're telling me those lights get up to 3527*C to 4027*C?

Originally posted by Warform
you're telling me those lights get up to 3527*C to 4027*C?

No they don't. That's the color temperature. Kind of hard to explain.

Heres a good site that explains the different bulbs.
http://www.autobulbdepot.com/fr_bulb_faq.tpl?cart=30925714982551191
I am using the PIAA superwhite as are many here on the board with no problems.
I put a upgraded harness in my Cad to use 100 watt high beans. It also made the PIAA low beams a little brighter although not $60. worth. But I will say that a true high watt bulb is brighter than any xenon charged bulb or superwhite.

Bill, thanks for the link to the page. That cleared up alot of confusion I had.

Back