Upgraded my seat, have wiring question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded my seat, have wiring question

Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
When I bought my Mountaineer it had "rice rocket" racing bucket seats in it, not comfortable to get in and out of. I replaced those with some manual cloth seats from a 1996 explorer. Last weekend at the Pick your Part I came up on some really nice gray leather power seats. My truck is wired for power seats but it has a flat 2 prong connector. the new seats have a square 4 prong connector (black) and a yellow 2 prong connector. I spliced the male connector from the donor vehicle to my two wires and plugged it in to the power seats, everything works, yay!

What is the yellow connector for?
What are the other two wires from the black 4 prong connector for?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing it might be for seat side airbags.

Seat heaters?

You need to get hold of wiring diagrams for your truck and the one the seats came out of.

Koda's right... Yellow connectors = air bags.

Semi on topic here - can heated seats from a Limited or Eddie Bauer be swapped in place of stock seats? I have leather and they get mighty cold in the winter so if I can swap them, I'll try to hunt down a set.

the seats will fit, but you'll have to wire them.

I wondered about that. Now it means I have to come up with some seats in good shape :)

Speaking of seats . . . A bit off topic but still seat related . . . . I pulled the drivers side seat out yeterday to replace a broken bracket bolt.

There is nothing worse than leaning back into your seat and finding yourself horizontal . . .

Anyway, couldn't get a socket shoulder screw as per the original, but managed to replace it with an M10x30 long setscrew, grade 8.8. (should anyone have to do the same). Yes - metric, I know. Go figure!

The bolt rattled around the hole where the 12mm dia shoulder fitted previously, so I took a 12mm "Dynabolt" (the expanding mandle type that is used to bolt down brackets or posts into concrete), took the 12mm tube off and but a 10mm length off the end with a hacksaw.

The bolt assembly worked a treat . . . and with the help of a little Loctite, should be there for many years to come.

Cheap lesson.

Back