• Register Today It's free!

Upgraded SYNC 3 questions

maniacpaul

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I’ve recently done the SYNC 3 swap in my wife’s 2015 Explorer XLT. She started having an issue where it wouldn’t start up - entirely black, no usb power and no voice control. I was able to track it down to happening after a long drive. As if the system was overheating... I opened it up after one of these long drives and the screen and new apim were cold, but the existing CD player/radio part (which doesn’t get swapped in the upgrade) was scorching hot - actually blistering one of my fingers!!

is this piece supposed to get so hot? I’ve already got a used replacement coming hoping that there’s just something wrong with mine.

additional question that I’ve not seen asked or talked about:

the in dash right cluster has the obvious sync 2 colors and style on it. It does display phone and music info from CarPlay but not CarPlay maps/directions. Can this screen be swapped or upgraded? What does a recent Explorer with sync 3 from the factory have as that screen / what does it look like?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Paul. :wave:
I doubt anything in that system is supposed to be hot enough to cause blistering. It's been a while since I've seen the video on swapping out the Sync/radio system but isn't the APIM attached to the CD player? As for checking out recent Explorers for pictures, you want to stay with the 5th gen vehicles. I have attached the only picture I have from my previous 2017 Platinum. It was actually taken to show the trim piece.

Peter

radio trim.JPG

The ACM (cd player/tuner) gets pretty warm, but not give you an injury warm. I'd say start by swapping that out for a new unit, if it gets hot enough I'm sure it can knock the APIM out as well. Carplay doesn't repeat to the IPC (cluster) on any Sync 3 car. The only "better" dash is the Platinum (same style as MKZ/Mondeo digital) but it doesn't work in 2011-2015 explorers.

You can get the fancy Fullscreen IPC to work in the 5th gen but its certainly not plug and play

You can get the fancy Fullscreen IPC to work in the 5th gen but its certainly not plug and play

That's still only 2016-2019, the platinum cluster requires network support via gateway module that the 11-15 doesn't have. People have had limited success adding a gateway module but I don't think anyone has gotten it working well enough for something like that to be possible so far.

Back