Upgrading 2016 Explorer to Sync 3 - FORScan questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading 2016 Explorer to Sync 3 - FORScan questions

PSUHammer

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone. I am a pretty tech oriented guy and wanted to give it a go upgrading to Sync 3. I ordered an APIM (from scrapyard from an F150, I believe), a new screen, the cable for the screen/APIM, new GPS antenna and a new USB media adapter.

I also downloaded FORScan and got an OBDII Bluetooth adapter. I understand I need the windows version of FORScan to make any changes. My question is do you know if all the Sync related variables are available via HS-CAN? My adapter does not see MS-CAN components. It does see the APIM, if that helps.

Thanks for helping a NOOB!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

APIM is on HS-CAN in 2016+ (can't speak before that.)

PSUHammer, I am looking to do the same to my '16 Explorer. Can I ask what the part numbers were for the APIM and screen? Love to know how the install worked out.

Thanks for the link. One question, can I use APIM from any Ford with Sync 3? F150, Edge, ....

Thanks, M
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Sorry I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will.

Peter

PSUHammer, I am looking to do the same to my '16 Explorer. Can I ask what the part numbers were for the APIM and screen? Love to know how the install worked out.

Let me see if I can grab the part numbers. The screen is a new Sync 3 8" screen and the APIM was from a 2017 F 150.

So, just went through an upgrade. All in parts cost was $425. I used the 4Dtech how to videos for physical assembly and had a bluetooth OBDII adapter and Forscan. Took a VIN from a 2017 similar asbuilt model to mimic the programming. Everything is golden, including steering heat and rear camera. Just need to figure out how to get the new sync to update properly using WiFi.

........ Just need to figure out how to get the new sync to update properly using WiFi.
I don't believe anyone has done that yet. They have used the USB method. Also, I believe I read somewhere here that the WiFi updates are supplied via the vehicle's VIN. So if your VIN didn't come with Sync 3 from the factory, you won't received WiFi updates. Not sure if the 'as built' data you used has the original vehicle's VIN info.

Peter

Yeah, I am looking for the files for USB, now. Any help would be appreciated!!

Yeah, I am looking for the files for USB, now. Any help would be appreciated!!
There is a thread here that had the V3.0 download link and I believe also the V2.0 or V2.3. I can't recall which one. V2.3 is the latest official update for the 2016 and 2017 Explorers. Haven't found that thread yet. After I downloaded and confirmed my update, the link disappeared from my account.

Peter

So, just went through an upgrade. All in parts cost was $425. I used the 4Dtech how to videos for physical assembly and had a bluetooth OBDII adapter and Forscan. Took a VIN from a 2017 similar asbuilt model to mimic the programming. Everything is golden, including steering heat and rear camera. Just need to figure out how to get the new sync to update properly using WiFi.
I also followed the 4DTech videos for physical install - very easy; I still need to go through and reprogram for my 2016 Limited as the climate control for front seats and front camera are not working; what OBDII cord were you using to make it work as I will follow that as a suggestion?

Ford dealership said that it is not possible to upgrade, but I know, through this forum and others that it is....the quest continues.

........... Ford dealership said that it is not possible to upgrade, but I know, through this forum and others that it is....the quest continues.
Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
I think the dealer was probably technically correct in that you can just replace Sync 2 with Sync 3 without changing various software programs which is also actually could be considered a copyright violation of Ford IDS. I would also expect that those who have made the change have voided any warranty on that system or issues it may cause.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
I think the dealer was probably technically correct in that you can just replace Sync 2 with Sync 3 without changing various software programs which is also actually could be considered a copyright violation of Ford IDS. I would also expect that those who have made the change have voided any warranty on that system or issues it may cause.

Peter
Appreciate the information. I have called the dealership where I purchased and asked if they could / would do the work; that dealership seemed to be more open to the prospect - I will follow up with an update when I have one.

My neighbor works for the dealership where I bought my car. Their official stance is that you can't upgrade it but the techs were cheering me on unofficially. It was pretty easy as the 2016 and 2017 Explorers are practically the same car.

I just got a highly rated OBDII Bluetooth adapter off of Amazon and downloaded Forscan to program the APIM. You use a VIN for a 2017 model with the same specs as your 2016 for the programming. For mine, I didn't have to change anything.

Everything works with the exception of the reverse top down proximity overlay. Very minor.

Very easy upgrade.

My neighbor works for the dealership where I bought my car. Their official stance is that you can't upgrade it but the techs were cheering me on unofficially. It was pretty easy as the 2016 and 2017 Explorers are practically the same car.

I just got a highly rated OBDII Bluetooth adapter off of Amazon and downloaded Forscan to program the APIM. You use a VIN for a 2017 model with the same specs as your 2016 for the programming. For mine, I didn't have to change anything.

Everything works with the exception of the reverse top down proximity overlay. Very minor.

Very easy upgrade.
I figured that it would be possible and very much appreciate your comment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I figured that it would be possible and very much appreciate your comment.
Keep in mind that you won't get the Sync 3 updates through your Sync account.

Peter

Back