Upgrading basic non-Nav 4" Sync to 8" Sync-3 with Navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading basic non-Nav 4" Sync to 8" Sync-3 with Navigation

Bobs2018ExplorerSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport 4WD
Callsign
KD6ANY
In my 2018 XLT, it only came with the small 4" screen, and the very-basic "Sync", which includes a backup camera and the ability to connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth, and a basic stereo system... and not much else than that. I think that, even though lots of people have the XLT-level of car, they do come with different base option packages, which might account for some variables, but in my case, the one thing I truly missed from my previous vehicle was navigation on a larger touch screen.

To remedy this inconvenience, I am currently waiting for a package to arrive from Infotainment.com, which sells a complete hardware and software package for the Explorer, to upgrade the small screen Sync to the 8" full-blown Sync 3, including maps, factory Navigation, and an upgrade to Automatic Temperature Control as its features... while allowing the existing factory SiriusXM features to remain untouched. (You can also add HD Radio, if you want, OR, if your car doesn't already have Sirius capability installed, that can be added to your upgrade order as well).

The upgraded larger touch screen, the required different control module, GPS antenna, new OEM bezel and temp control unit, a one-time plug-in unit that reprograms your OBD computer to recognize the new hardware (and make needed ECM changes), and all required connecting cables are included of course, to quickly make the changeover.... the desired end result being that it now has the factory/OEM navigation installed. While you CAN hire someone to install it all, the kit is really designed for the do-it-yourselfer (like me). Once I get it all installed, I will report again here how it all went!

IF anybody out there has already made this upgrade, using one of these kits, I'd love to hear how it went; any problems you encountered, etc!

Did it twice, we had a 2009 Eddie Bauer and did the upgrade back in 2010 OEMAutoPartsCo which I think is the same company as you mentioned co. (OEMAutoPartsCo.com - Soon to be Infotainment.com)
I did it myself in a few hours it was all plug and play the only problems we encountered was we lost the use of the voice command button on the steering wheel because they wanted a enormous amount of money for a module to make it work so we passed. Also the CD that they sent us worked some of the time they just told use to clean it which didnt make much since because we never touched the CD it came alread inserted in the head unit but still we cleaned it and a few weeks later it would crash, no big deal as by then we started using our cell for navigation anyways. Next I did it in a 2013 Ford Fusion but this time I went with a company called 4D Tech and all went well, they also wanted more money for XM/Serius and back up camera modules that we didnt need. But still to this day we are good and when Ford upgraded the OS software they helped out. Forgot to mention, that you may want to inquire about future OS software upgrades from Ford to your head unit. When Ford has bug fixes or new OS software upgrades you can get it from the Ford site but you have to put in your vin and if that vin shows your car didnt come with the upgraded head unit it will not let you download the new software and if you put in a vin from another but similar vehicle and that vin has already been used or the person reports it as stolen Ford will black list that vin until you come to the dealership with that vehicle. Friends of mine have been there and done that, its not worth the hassle, thats why when we purchased our 2019 X sport we just got what we wanted. END OF STORY. Hope this helps

Yes, this is helpful, and all very good points! Thanks!

Back