upgrading MACH system with new amp and sub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

upgrading MACH system with new amp and sub

sidneyhop

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD Limited
I just got a new 98 EB but noticed right off the sound was really thin and weak even though it has a MACH system in it. I pulled the grill in front of the rear sub off and discovered the foam surround was a cracked and missing pieces as well as zero sound coming from it :( I figured now would be the best time to upgrade and need some good solid advice on how to proceed. BTW Im a noob so please dumb down a lot of the tech lingo. Thanks :)

I would like to keep the stock enclosure but would like a much better sub and amp. Is this possible considering the volume of the current enclosure? I was looking around and found a sony amp 1200 watt 2/1ch and a set of 3-way jvc 6x9 speakers that would go nicely up front. Is the amp too much for any sub that would work for the current box? If not what would be the best sub for that set up? Ill prob keep the rear door speakers stock.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford uses 6x8 speakers not 6x9's

I'm not sure what size the factory enclosure is but I'd look for a sub that will work well in small sealed enclosures. Sony makes crappy amps.

that sony amp would probably only put out like 150w. sony is garbage. your factory sub is probably 8". there are a few different companies that make an 8" sub, mtx being one of them. you can get a decent mtx sub/amp combo for a pretty cheap price and it will definitely make your factory system sound better.

I recently replaced the factory sub and amp in my 99 XLT with a Kenwood single channel amp (150w) and a Polk Momo 8" sub. The sub fit into the stock enclosure with little modification (I simply cut out the indent at the back of the enclosure). I mounted the amp under the pass side rear seat. The improvement in the sound quality was incredible! It's hard to believe the amount of chest pounding bass the Polk puts out. Real simple installation, took all of about 2 hours (including replacing the head unit)!

There are a few options for replacing the stock sub, the Stealthbox is the best option. It is over $400 new, but they turn up used sometimes for $150. The woofer in those is 10", and some members have even fit a 10" speaker into the stock sub box.

FYI, the Mach system sends all sub frequencies to the sub, and none to the door speakers. That is why you have no real bass right now. You need a sub to make it work well, and the Mach has a special two part signal going to the amp. The mute function of the sub is controlled through the sub signal, so usually replacing the amp doesn't work out well. Ask catfsh94 above what he did about that.

I avoided that(I haven't finished yet) by having RCA outputs(5) installed in my Mach. I'll finish it some day. Good luck,

Back