upgrading speakers... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

upgrading speakers...

Quakecom

Reaction score
City, State
97-00 HHI, SC ************ 00-02 Boston, MA********** 02-04 Augsburg, GERMANY 04-now Munich, GERMANY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Hey guys,
I have a 97 Eb with the upgraded JBL sound system. Even though I am very happy with it (it sounds awesome) I was thinking about upgrading the door speakers (front and back) in the first step. Can anybody tell me all the sizes of speakers that would fit in the stock locations...Also, I think to remember that the X sound system runs on 1 Ohm.. Does this matter when putting new speakers with ..let say...4 Ohm... How?

thanx for all the help..

Quakecom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '95 and my '98 both use 6x8s. I have Pioneer 3 ways in all 4 stock locations right now, amplified by a Kenwood KAC-849. Hope this helps.

Go with new speakers. I didn't mind the sound of my factory speakers but installed new speakers anyway. BIG improvement, the sound is much fuller, brighter and tigher bass. Put in 4 Pioneers TS-A6865 (6x8's in all locations) powered by a 45x4 MTX amp.

thanx for the replys...
I do have a couple more Qs for you all:

1. do i have to get a amp to run the new speakers or will the stock HU be able to run them without problems...

2. What about the impedance....does it matter at all?

thanx guys

Quakecom,

1. You don't need an aftermarket amp or HU to power new speakers. You CAN'T however, bypass the factory amp from the factory HU to power the aftermarket speakers. Something dealing with how Ford set up the original stereo.

2. Impedances I wouldn't worry much about. That comes into more play when you have an aftermarket AMP powering more than one sub. WIth speakers, it's pretty much 4 OHms which are pretty much standard with all after-speakers.

hope this helps

Upgrading the stock speakers with aftermarket ones can definately improve sound quality. The improvements can be heard by an average listner ( not an audiophile ) using the stock HU; however, the sound will be much better with an aftermarket HU and/an amp.

Good look....

Tweeters...

I just came back from Tweeters to do a little research.. According to the guy I talked to, upgrading is not as easy as taking the old speakers out and putting new ones in...He also said that I should go with 5x7 instead of 6x8 because the sound is better. and then he started talking about cross-overs in my cars bc I have the upgraded JBL system...

can anybody please tell me whats up... :)

thank you

ive actually been doing the same thing-looking to upgrade. Regarding the crossovers, if you're planning to change all your speakers, and thats the only thing you changed i dont see a problem. Plus, there are some inexpensive speakers with built-in crossovers. For example, Pioneer TS-A6895, Ive found at 80 a pair and they have the builtin cross.

Back