Upgrading Suspension / self levelling shocks Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading Suspension / self levelling shocks Help Please

flyingdr

Reaction score
City, State
Cobham, Surrey, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 North Face
Hi There

I have a 2000 reg V plate North Face Auto.

I am looking to upgrade the suspension and or replace the self levelling shocks. I would like to remove and replace with non air rear shocks. The vehicle is sagging at the rear. I think it was used for a lot of towing prior to my ownership. Has anyome done this or know what I can do and where I can get the parts and get someone to fit. I am not a DIYer on Motor vehicles!!

Many thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome.
Can't give you much advice on where to get the shocks or what ones to use, but mine has had the back end done using ordinary shocks and doing away with the self levelling air shocks. Rides and handles nicely.
The sagging at the rear bothers me a bit - lot of towing - possible sagging springs? Shocks will only affect the ride, not the vehicle height. Interested to know what others think about this. If the springs need replacing, Chris on the forum might be able to help you with some as he has broken a few Explorers.
Richard

Hi,

You can get shocks which help with vehicle height such as Monroe Sensa-Trac they have a coilover spring which has a self leveling effect.

http://info.rockauto.com/Monroe/58617.html

I can't recommend a fitter as you seem to have kept your location a secret:p:

They are easy to fit though so any garage or mate with a set of spanners could do it.

Hi,

You can get shocks which help with vehicle height such as Monroe Sensa-Trac they have a coilover spring which has a self leveling effect.

http://info.rockauto.com/Monroe/58617.html

I can't recommend a fitter as you seem to have kept your location a secret:p:

They are easy to fit though so any garage or mate with a set of spanners could do it.

Hi

Thanks for the ideas and pointers. I meant to say air not rear.!!

I didn't mean to hide the location - forgot to fill it in. It's now updated and I'm in Surrey.

Thanks again to you both

Yes mate both are right, if its sagging its prob the leaf springs have had a hard life, what I have heard done is people have got hold of two drivers side leafs from seperate cars and used them, the petrol tank side is always a little lower in our exs due to the weight of fuel. Another thing after you have the springs done is to have shackle lifts done on the back I just did mine and its gone from 33 inches stock- no arc action to 35 with the lift no arc action, when the arc kicks in it goes up another inch also.........nice!

Kevin P made the shackles and mate they are really good quality, as your local, Surrey- if you go that route pop over to mine lets have a beer and sort it for you!
Good luck!!!

The rear leaf springs do sag over time and with heavy loads. The leafs on the Explorers with air shocks are also softer springs than a regular 4WD version.

I'd suggest changing leaf springs, buy them from an aftermarket company, for a 4WD Explorer. The air shocks do control ride height, that is their main function. Worn out shocks or leafs will ride poorly and not hold loads well.

Yes mate both are right, if its sagging its prob the leaf springs have had a hard life, what I have heard done is people have got hold of two drivers side leafs from seperate cars and used them, the petrol tank side is always a little lower in our exs due to the weight of fuel. Another thing after you have the springs done is to have shackle lifts done on the back I just did mine and its gone from 33 inches stock- no arc action to 35 with the lift no arc action, when the arc kicks in it goes up another inch also.........nice!

Kevin P made the shackles and mate they are really good quality, as your local, Surrey- if you go that route pop over to mine lets have a beer and sort it for you!
Good luck!!!

Thanks for the pointer. Alao thanks to CDW. from TN. BIGHVM Where are you - Can you advise likely costs to do leaf springs, shackles and fit non air shocks. What or who is Kevin P? - Sorry for ignorance Beer sounds good;)

I need to eliminate the height changing when stationary as I am going to be fitting a mast to the vehicle and need it to remain at a constant level when it is stationary and the mast upright.

Thanks again for all the useful comments and suggestions.

PS is their a supllier in the UK for Monrow suggestion. Or is good ol' ebay - I see them listed from rock

Hi Flyingdr,

Shocks are on ebay, search Ford Explorer and they usualy appear on the list, about £70ish a pr plus p&p. Hope this helps.

All the best

Boots

rear suspension

hi and welcom .
i can do you two good s/h rear road springs the car is standing at 20" from center of hubs to under side of wheel arch can do these for £20 each collect from fareham hants .
i have a good set off explorer rear air shocks for £25 each.
i am just dismantleing a red 1998 explorer.
cheers chris

hi and welcom .
i can do you two good s/h rear road springs the car is standing at 20" from center of hubs to under side of wheel arch can do these for £20 each collect from fareham hants .
i have a good set off explorer rear air shocks for £25 each.
i am just dismantleing a red 1998 explorer.
cheers chris

Hi chrisquelch - thanks for the offer. I may well take you up on the springs. I am looking for non-air shocks though. Will these springs fit a 2000 model North Face. I understand there was a design change around then? Fareham pickup is fine as I have to come down to S/hampton very soon. How wasy are they to fit?

Thanks

rear suspension

hi yes they will fit 2000 ex .there easy to fit it a good idea to spray the nuts and bolts with wd 40 as soon as poss before removing then they should come undone easy .its 4 u bolt nuts and one each end of spring. cheers Chris

My father's Explorer was sagging at the rear.

Turned out the rear heat sensor had dropped off - we popped it back on and hey presto, it levelled itself out.

It took two minutes and a couple of fingernails. Worth a try.

My father's Explorer was sagging at the rear.

Turned out the rear heat sensor had dropped off - we popped it back on and hey presto, it levelled itself out.

It took two minutes and a couple of fingernails. Worth a try.

LOL A!pril Fool by any chance;)

rear suspension

think he meant height sensor. cheers chris

think he meant height sensor. cheers chris

Thanks Chris now that would seem more like it. Thanks!!:salute:

I have looked at all the links and they seem fine. Tell me please - if the height sensor fails and the vehicle sits low at the rear - is that normal. I thought the height sensor would raie the system should additional weight come in to play. So it should be level by default?

I have often heard the pumps going when stationary but I think the whole things sits back after a while. My vehcile is kept empty most of the time.

This is why I want to beef up the suspension and remove the self levelling part. As well as for the reason outlined prior.

Ian

rear suspension

hi i would think level is the default setting . but if the springs are worn(sagging) the sensor will think the car is loaded and try to level it. if you can hear the pump raising it then it sinks after time maybe there is a leak.but suspect they all go down after a time. cheers chris

Hello All - new to the Forum ( and Explorer's )

Hi, Firstly let me say that joining this forum has already proved invaluable! I found the " How To..." section's on SHACKLE replacement and FRONT HUB replacement very informative! Without the info I would NEVER have attempted that type of DIY.

Unfortunately, I too have an Exp with ARC and a sagging rear?
I have only owned the car a couple of months but in that time I have NEVER heard the compressor power up or seen the car height alter at all? I have had the yellow dash symbol light up on a couple of occassions but switch the ignition off and it goes out??
My Question's
"Where is the rear height sensor?"
" Is there an obvious way to prove / disprove that the ARC is functioning correctly?"....I was also thinking of changing from air ride to standard shocks!

Any help greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

B1gM4c

hi there, welcome to the forum mate, have you checked the switch in the boot is in the "on" position, its just above the jack in that compartment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SB97UK ........Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes I have tried the switch in both positions and still no joy? I have been reading a few search threads over the past couple of hours and I am going to try and locate the sensor under the car near the rear axle - once located I will reposition it and see if this triggers the compressor? Mine is fitted with an LPG system and the spare wheel has been removed and the gas tank put in its place. I wonder if it is getting a reading from the tank and not the floor?? Or has it been positioned out of the way fooling it in to thinking it is in optimum position ALL the time?
Are there many UK owners on this website?
Do you have any meets etc...

Thanks again for the input.

B1gM4c

Back