Upgrading to 8" Sync MFT on 2016

Justin Hall

Reaction score
City, State
deland fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer xlt
Hi,
My wife has a 2016 XLT with the 4.2" display and backup camera. I bought the 8" bezel plugged it in and worked fine. I bought the 8" display and module. On the 4" there are 3 harness plugs. Large multi pin, USB and another that goes in the 4 " display. On the back of the 8" sync 2 there are only two plug ins. Large multi and usb. I cant get the new 8" to power on. I would love some help. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not plug and play. You have to re-wire some of the system. Plus you have to do some re-programming.

Is it possible to upgrade my 2016 ford explorer XLT with the 4" screen to 8" touch screen if I pull one from a recked car? would it be plug and play with the harnesses? I don't want to buy anything until I know it will work. I do have a backup camera as well. I have been searching the threads but have not seen any 4" to 8" oem conversions.

I am not looking to customize anything, just would like the larger touch screen with stock controls.

Thanks!

Is it possible to upgrade my 2016 ford explorer XLT with the 4" screen to 8" touch screen if I pull one from a recked car? would it be plug and play with the harnesses? I don't want to buy anything until I know it will work. I do have a backup camera as well. I have been searching the threads but have not seen any 4" to 8" oem conversions.

I am not looking to customize anything, just would like the larger touch screen with stock controls.

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum Trent.:wave:
I've moved your post to this thread. I think your plug and play question is answered in post #2. There is actually a video of the 4" to 8" conversion but I haven't found it yet.
BTW, some members have updated their system from Sync 2 to Sync 3. Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 and Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

Peter

Thanks Peter!

I was hoping for a plug and play scenario. I am handy but a rewire is more advanced than I was willing to go. If you hear of any kit to convert the displays in the future, please let me know.

Hi,
My wife has a 2016 XLT with the 4.2" display and backup camera. I bought the 8" bezel plugged it in and worked fine. I bought the 8" display and module. On the 4" there are 3 harness plugs. Large multi pin, USB and another that goes in the 4 " display. On the back of the 8" sync 2 there are only two plug ins. Large multi and usb. I cant get the new 8" to power on. I would love some help. Thank you!

Justin did you ever get it to work?

Back