• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading to JBL audio system?

exploration1997

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT with the basic radio. I want to upgrade, but I'd like to keep the head unit looking as stock as possible - and figure, why not use the one from the factory?! I'm assuming the JBL system is a separate head unit from the regular. How hard/easy would it be to upgrade to the JBL audio system? And is it worth it? Because I want to have more bass and a smidge more treble, and just a slight more mid. I also don't want the speakers blowing out on me. Thanks very much in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a lot more cost effective to go aftermarket. The OEM stuff is crap for the most part. The aftermarket items will sound worlds better, have many updated features (ipod, aux, usb, nav, etc) and will look MUCH better and cleaner than the Ford junk.

If you can get the JBL stuff from a friend for FREE, and dont mind mediocore (at best) sound quality, then maybe I can see a purpose to this "upgrade"

You will also have a fair amount of wire to re-run if you use the JBL.

Advice? Get a decent aftermarket deck, buy a factory sub enclosure, and install an amp. I have a couple of hundred into my setup and it sounds great.

Check my sub thread... I just mated it with my $100 Pioneer deck.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292595

You could get a '98+ deck and rewire for that. You'd still have the stock look but be able to run something like an MTX ThunderForm easily.

It would illumintate green though, and not match his blue lights. Plus at the end of the day, it would still be a stock deck.

Color change isn't too hard and the RDS radio from the 98-2001 era was excellent once the display has been mended.

I had one in my 99, believe me it's nothing special. I wouldn't spend a dime on a used one, when even some of the bottom of the line aftermarket units blow it out of the water. Just my .02

I want to upgrade, but I'd like to keep the head unit looking as stock as possible

I had one in my 99, believe me it's nothing special. I wouldn't spend a dime on a used one, when even some of the bottom of the line aftermarket units blow it out of the water. Just my .02

I'm staying within what the OP would like to get out of the project.

Back