Upper chain guide rip off ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper chain guide rip off ??

Reaction score
City, State
Sudbury
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 sport
I know most of you guys are familiar with the upper chain tensioner recall on all of the 4.0 sohc, well im in the process of getting mine done, when my mechanic tells me the plastic guide it pushes on is messed also. He says the guide is 150 bucks... Does this sound right ? I paid only a hundred for the whole 00m12 kit. does anyone have a diagram of this and possibly a part # for this guide , it would be greatly apreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go somewhere else ... sorry, uh are you not in the US. I paid about $40 US for the cam chain tensioner, and $60 for the front timing cassette, which includes the infamous plastic guide.

Search on here for "timing cassette" there are many threads already. Check this;http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163298

Thanks CDW6212R u seem to be quite knowledgable on all this crap. So they call that plastic guide a "cassette" ?? and also can u replace this "cassette" from the top without tearing down the front end?? again.

I think the word cassette is just the name of the parts kit, it includes the chain guide, cam gear, and the chain. It's a big subject, and the bottom line is that there is a special tool kit, and it is required. There are no spines or gears connecting the crank to cams. There are four joints(generic term) where a single bolt holds a shaft to a chain. Those joints can spin infinately when loose, only the special tools can be used. They specifically hold the components in place when the "bolt" is tightened. Search through the other big threads about the SOHC and "guides". Good luck,

Yes you are right, the entire assembly is called a cassette, as i learned from the stealership, hence the reason they want 140 some odd dollars for it. Damn idiots. Anyway i would like to know if anybody sells just the plastic guide, not the entire assembly ?? Thats the only thing thats messed.

True, but for $60 it's not bad here. How hard would it be for you to order parts from a business here, there are countless venders who do mail order.

I guess ill just have to deal with it. Just found out another dealer wants 200+ for the same "cassette". Ill suck it up and cry later, but its not too bad the warrantys covering all 1200 dollars of labour..lol, i hust hafta pay for the parts. The stealership also said the engine will never run again after doing this procedure...lol Damn they have faith in thier products!!

I wonder what kind of mechanics and tools they have there. If you are getting some kind of labor coverage, be grateful for that. The recalls ended at the five year mark, so an extended warantee may be the best option for a new buyer.

Ya up here in the great north you can buy a used vehicle warranty for only a couple hundred dollars, but in this case its worth it. It seems like they do good work and ive stayed their and watched them sometimes. they also have the tool to align and hold the cams, since they do it so often lol. anyway i hope my explorer runs and sounds better since boating season is coming !!

Back