Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint question

home4sale2

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L V6
Thanks for the information in the sticky regarding replacing Upper Ball Joints. I am interested in replacing the control arm because it looks pretty bad right now anyway. I can find the Moog part number for ball joints and the arm with ball joint but the picture of the latter looks dramatically different. Products like Mevotech and Dorman look identical but I have heard negative reports on Dorman and nothing on Mevotech. Any suggestions on the right part number for Moog (left and right) or any thoughts on Mevotech? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moog - L = K620225 r = K620224

For the same price you can get the original Ford Motorcraft part

Thanks for the information in the sticky regarding replacing Upper Ball Joints. I am interested in replacing the control arm because it looks pretty bad right now anyway. I can find the Moog part number for ball joints and the arm with ball joint but the picture of the latter looks dramatically different. Products like Mevotech and Dorman look identical but I have heard negative reports on Dorman and nothing on Mevotech. Any suggestions on the right part number for Moog (left and right) or any thoughts on Mevotech? Thank you.

Moog makes the best suspension parts on the market.
I have a 2001 5.0 EB and a 2001 4.0 SOHC XLS. They're both 2wd and appear to take the same upper control arms and lower ball joints. I'm purchasing mine through RockAuto with new sway bar end links. The total including shpping using the forum's 5% discount is $179.15. Most Explorers have a 1-piece upper control arm on the driver's side and a 2-piece upper control arm on the passenger side. The 2-piece allows for more adjustment, however it can be replaced with a 1-piece design if you want. I don't know if the 2001 and 2002's use the same parts, but my Moog part #'s are as follows:

1-piece left upper control arm K8708T
2-piece right upper control arm K8710T
Lower ball joints (2) K8695T
Sway bar end links (2) K7275

I suggest you check the RockAuto on-line catalog to make sure the '01 and '02 part numbers are the same before ordering.

I can find the Moog part number for ball joints and the arm with ball joint but the picture of the latter looks dramatically different.
As Koda said, the passenger side looks different because it's probably the two piece design.
Even Ford updated their replacement to the single piece UCA, although the older two piece
part is still available. The single piece Moog UCA part is K80068. Camber kits may be needed.

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en2/DYK10_106_En.pdf

The total including shpping using the forum's 5% discount is $179.15.
Where do we find/apply the forum discount???

Are you sure you are looking at the right control arm? The 02 Explorers have a different front suspension that the previous years. the 95 - 2001 do not have serviceable ball joints stock (meaning can be pressed in and out) where as the 2002 4 door explorers have ball joints that can be pressed in and out with the control arm on the truck. The 2002 sports I believe have the same front control arms as the previous model years (95 - 01).

These seem to be the right #'s for the control arms
Left upper: K620225
Right upper: K620224

If you take those part #s and put them in Napa's interchange on their site it shows the correct style for 2002 - 2005 Explorers.

I asked the same question. Someone posted me back. It goes in the box that says "how did you hear about us" found at the bottom of your shopping cart list, before checking out. The current discount code is DABA748798FC Its good until Sept 20somethingith.

I don't know if the 2001 and 2002's use the same parts, but my Moog part #'s are as follows:

1-piece left upper control arm K8708T
2-piece right upper control arm K8710T
Lower ball joints (2) K8695T
Sway bar end links (2) K7275

I suggest you check the RockAuto on-line catalog to make sure the '01 and '02 part numbers are the same before ordering.

I checked RockAuto's catalog today and it appears the '02-'05 Explorers do use different parts than the '95-'01. Still, worth checking them out.

You can press out the ball joints on the 02-05's. The best way is to remove the whole control arm itself. Trying to remove and then press in the ball joint with the control arm still attatched is difficult because there isn't alot of room in there to get the tool in. There is a thread showing and explaining just that in this forum. Might as well replace the entire control arm.

leave the arm in truck, there is plenty of room to press the balljoints out with out any problems, also if you leave arm in you save money for an alligment. for both sides maybe 1 1/2 hours.

IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

I had bad wheel bearing and ABS light was on with brake pedal plusing so I changed bearings and balljoint on the same day.

I'll plan on replacing the whole assembly and use the following part numbers:

Left upper: K620225
Right upper: K620224

Thanks for everyone's help. The above seem to be the right numbers for my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT V6 AWD but I'll find out once I get them.

Does anyone know since this thread is about control arms and ball joints, how often do the lower front ball joints need to be replaced? I'm trying to decide if I should do all or just the uppers.

ive only replaced the lower passanger front at about 100k
i havent touched the drivers front. it just depends on how it wears. and when it goes out you will know. it will be very loud and annoying (squeak)

Does anyone know since this thread is about control arms and ball joints, how often do the lower front ball joints need to be replaced? I'm trying to decide if I should do all or just the uppers.

I just did mine a couple weeks ago replaced the whole lower control arm because it was cheaper then changing both the front and back bushings on it. My truck is 10 years old with about 120k miles on it.

My philosphy is to treat them like headlights. You replace one, replace both. If the upper goes, replace the the lower as well. They are essentially the same part. If one is bad, and you're already there...why not do them both? You will need an alignment after you replace the upper. If you only replace the upper, and the lower goes out just 5K miles later...you'll have to take it all apart again, AND do another alignment...AGAIN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 sport trac now with one piece upper control arms both sides, i have Moog now, they are good, but want to revert to 2 piece on the passenger side. Problem is,originally Ford junked my 2 piece to replace with 1 piece. The ball joint half is readily available aftermarket part, but nobody has the inner piece that houses the bushings that goes with it. If anyone out there is changing from 2 piece to 1 piece i would like to buy the inner piece. Problem is getting hold of it, i'm in Philippines. We can work that out at the time. Anyone can help, email me (Barry) at Thanks.

Back