Upper Control Arms (for the seriously dropped) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arms (for the seriously dropped)

Yes, the whole reason i'm doing it is to save my camber angle.

the outside tread of my tire isn't even touching the ground, it looks funny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I did some research on this today. After talking with jbhill on the Ranger boards, the upper control arms will indeed bolt on. He has done this with his newer Edge, in which he installed the 98+ Ranger arms and flipped the t-bars. He says it's corrected the camber issue, but I'm not completely sold on the issue. After looking at the pictures on the control arm, it doesn't look all that much longer than our current stock arm. But, it works.

I would love to get a set of these upper control arms, flip the adjusters, replace my 2 inch blocks with 3 inch blocks, and be set. But, I want to make sure I can get it aligned good enough.

well, they wouldnt have to be much longer than stockers at all to correct the camber. it really doesnt take much. and since im tired of waiting on Yomie:p has anyone (namely you, Hartman) priced the control arms anywere? were's the best place to get some? ive got plans coming up, and mine HAS to be atleast 1 inch lower... maybe 2" for a total of 4" all the way around.

the control arms are $140 at www.stylinconcepts.com and a set of Moog balljoints can be purchased at your local parts store

Sorry guy's this project for me will have to be put on hold for about a year or whenever i get back, I'm going to the desert boys. i'm not leaving right now, but within the next month, i'm on standby.

:shoot:

well, if i would have went back and re-read the beginning of the thread, i would have known that. but, im a dumb@ss, so thanks again Yomie. and BTW good luck in the desert.

im gonna do this mod VERY soon, so the rest of you will find out if it really works or not without trying it first. im looking for 3", maybe even 4" in front... it will ultimately depend on what ride quality (or lack thereof) i can live with.

EDIT- do you have to replace the ball joints with Ranger joints? or will the 2wd X joints "bolt on"?

You would be better off purchasing the ranger joints. You can't use the explorer joints because the Explorer joints come with the WHOLE stock control arm, where as the 2WD Ranger you can purchase the ball joint seperate.

Moog Upper Ball joint 98+ Ranger 2WD is part # K8738

Page 2 fooz

James T, lets keep in touch because I'm planning on getting the control arms and trying them at least. I want to go down another 1.5-2 inches. You can buy just a MOOG balljoint without the control arm. Ford makes you buy the whole arm, but I'm pretty sure you can buy just the balljoint from places like Car Quest. As far as I know, Explorer and Rangers both have pressed in balljoints, so I'm thinking they might be the same?

BTW I'm really looking forward to trying some of this stuff out. I'm going to be purchasing the control arms within a week.

sounds good, Hartman. im ordering mine Monday.

just to re-clarify for the incredibly dense people (me), both the Explorer balljoints AND the 2wd Ranger balljoints are pressed in. so i will either have to "un-press" the stock joints and re-use, or buy new Ranger joints and have them pressed-in. correct?

You might as well buy the ranger joints, i'm pretty sure you gotta get them pressed in though.

Lemme know how it goes if you install them after i leave

The DJM instructions for the control arms states that you can reuse the balljoints. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea just to get some new joints.

Anybody have any idea who can press in ball joints? Auto stores? Shops?

Does autozone have the tool?

Hartman, are you worried about your 4wd at all?

No I'm not worried about it. Reason being, everybody says that the shafts will bind up in the front. But do you know anyone that actually has had that problem? I haven't, so I'm not going to worry about it. If I do have problems, I'll just get some 2WD spindles and take my shafts out.

I also just wanna stay updated on this topic. Let me know when u guys try it out

Hartman i bet some people on here would be interested in your 4wd parts

I bet they would too, I plan to sell the parts on here if I need to convert to 2WD.

Like Hartman said, i had the front of my truck lowered about 4-5". My front diffy crossmember was about 2" off the ground, and i NEVER had a problem with CV bindage.

well, stage 1 is in motion, control arms were ordered this morning. i assume ill get 'em in a week or two or three. wish me luck.:D

Good luck! Dont let your 450 lb penis get in the way. :p

:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, different thread Yomie. :D

Back