• Register Today It's free!

Upper intake gasket help

Brent Schneider

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ranger
I replace the upper intake gasket on my 4.0. It had the rubber o ring style but the parts store said the paper style was an up grade. Well she's back together and has a leak. It's in a little notch that must be there to hold the old gasket in. I have looked online but can't find 5he correct ones. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds dumb but can I just fill the little notch with RTV. It's just a little notch in the middle of the runner the old.gasket must of had a tab that went in there

20190503_200418.jpg

According to the diagrams, you should still have the o-rings installed into the plastic upper intake manifold, and the fuel rail gets the paper style gasket below and above also.

This sounds dumb but can I just fill the little notch with RTV. It's just a little notch in the middle of the runner the old.gasket must of had a tab that went in there

View attachment 170156
I cant tell you what to do, but I would not do that, Do it right, the way it is supposed to be, even if it requires removing the upper intake one more time. Silicone has to be compressed to be held in place, if you try to fill the void, it will eventually fall out and get sucked into the engine.

Is the notch you're talking about right above the Schrader valve? If so you could try a dab of JB Weld there to see if it stops the leak. But as BlackSport stated, the O-ring seals are the correct ones to use there. They are designed to compensate for the varied expansion rates of the plastic plenum and aluminum fuel rail.

Maybe the counter person was confusing the plenum gaskets with the fuel rail gaskets...???

Today i went to three different places and everyone tells me the felpro paper ones are all they have. I'm not sure where to go from here..
20190505_200256.jpg

I assume this is for your 95 Ranger?
The 95-96 intake plenums appear to indeed take the one piece gasket, and the 97-00 models
use the O-ring type. I suspect your 95 truck has a later model engine installed, or maybe a different
plenum. You can try taking an old gasket to the parts store and see if it matches up to a 97 or later
model year gasket. (The intake runner openings have different shapes and that's why it's leaking.)

Rock Auto (parts) has a lot of pictures and info; maybe you can confirm what model year gaskets
you need by searching there...
Let us know what you find out.

Back